The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By troutfanatic
  • 1 Post By rockthief

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 06:20 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Bull Trout flies

Hey everyone,

It has been some time since I have posted here. Once late fall comes around my mind switches over to hunting and trapping. Anyways, I am starting to get psyched about the upcoming season by watching fly fishing videos. I just watched a bull trout video and I always see the angler throw large white (usually bunny) streamers. Just wondering if anyone knew some of the patterns.

Now I will stop you all right now. I know there are people out there seeing im from Southern VT and going "uhhh you know there are no bull trout in VT right?" Yes I know and unfortunately I may never be able to fish for them. I just like the patterns I have seen used to target them.

So let's see some of those streamers!

Best,
Tyler

- Tyler

Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Bull Trout flies

Hi Tyler,

I don't have any photographed but the Dolly llama is used for Char here and I believe for Bull Trout down south. here's a link to a tying video, they will make a good brown trout pattern for early morning on rainy days when the water is threatening to rise in your area. For the browns I'd go olive & brown, make them look like a Sculpin and you should catch.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-27-2014, 10:30 PM

troutfanatic is on a distinguished road

I have never fished for Bull Trout, but I definitely agree with Ard in that the Dolly Llama is a great pattern for big trout. I used to swing them all the time up in Alaska for big rainbows, and have had great success fishing them in Montana for big browns. So I am sure they would work great for bull trout, and I know they will work on big trout out East here too.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:16 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

A big hook, some light colored thread and a long white rabbit strip with a bit of pink on the sides will do. That will look enough like a rainbow trout or a whitefish to do the job.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:34 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I got the idea from the streamers in this video....

- Tyler

Old 01-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The white ones are close enough to a dolly llama that I'd just go tan and white. The floating tie on the foam strip is a mouse imitation.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;