The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By noutdoorsmen94
  • 2 Post By Liphookedau
  • 3 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By jbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 01:33 AM

noutdoorsmen94 is on a distinguished road
Default Tube Tying

Haven't seen much about this on here and wanted to see everyone's opinions and thoughts on tying tube flies?

I don't know much about tube flies but for some people that's all they use. All iv seen on this subject is about tying salmon and steelhead flies. To me it looks neat but I don't think it could have any use for the small creek fishing I do. Does anyone use tubes for trout or any other kind of fish? I don't understand it much, so guys what's your opinion and thoughts about tube flies are?
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
-Norman Maclean "A River Runs Through It"

Nate
Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tube Tying

There's quite a few here who Tie Tubes Ard has Just started & has Tied some Beauties
I have all The Gear to Tie Them however I haven't ventured into it yet.
Brian
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Brian,

I've been making them all week as it would be. To the original poster, I'll photograph some tomorrow or Thursday and post to the Spey Flies threads. Not that they are specific to that style but the threads need some flies.

You could very easily use these wherever you are at, I will try to do some text explaining them when I post up the photos.

Stand by,

Ard
mcnerney, jaybo41 and kayo like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-29-2014, 04:00 AM

noutdoorsmen94 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You could very easily use these wherever you are at
Really? I would defiantly like to know more about it then. What I saw about steelhead and salmon was interesting and looked like something fun to play around with but if I can actually use them in my situation I would really like to learn more. also wanted to see what other people thought about tube flies.
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
-Norman Maclean "A River Runs Through It"

Nate
Old 01-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I am relatively new to these type flies. The few times I used them they caught fish very well. I'm using pro tube components for what I've been making. It was easy to start because I got on the phone with a member here who has been using & tying them for quite a while. He walked me through the website while I put my first order together for supplies. If you want, when you're ready to get started I can do the same for you. Just send me a PM and we can get on the telephone and then onto the same website to select materials.

The Pro Tube line comes in 3 size tubes, regular - micro and nano tubes. For your area the micro tubes will produce the larger flies and the Nano tube will make small ones. You may want to start on a pack of the standard size tubes and get the hang of tying on them before you go to the little bitty ones.

You will need an adapter for the vise for holding the tubes and they are sold by the same outfit. My first order came to around 80 dollars because I needed the adapter pin and got a large selection of tubes to start on. I'm tying a bunch of these so that for this season and 2015 I will have a good supply of them.

You can use just about any type hair and body material for making tube flies, feathers, tinsels, anything you have can be worked into patterns. There are no rules but looking at some flies that are working for others will get you started in the right direction. The most attractive aspect of this type fly / lure, is that once you get the knack of rigging your hook down just right you should not lose many flies. I had to play around with some mono and a hook & fly before I figured out just how I wanted them rigged. Ideally you have the hook connected with a loop around the shank and through the eye and a jam knot just ahead of it that should stop the tube from sliding off the line in the event that the hook broke off. I have not had one break because I've never used them under 12 pound test leader. Fishing for trout where you are at you may find that 8 pound will be a good strength. I fished streamers back east for many years and learned the hard way that anything under 8 pound was a bad idea when the day came that you hooked something that you had previously only seen on the cover of a magazine.

I have to change the oil in both our vehicles today and there are other things that will take up my time also. I'll try to photograph and post a bunch tomorrow. Remember that what you'll see are made for wild trout and salmon and they may look a little crazy to you. There are a bunch of what I call food color flies too so I show a selection.

Ard
jaybo41 and kayo like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-29-2014, 05:24 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

I think they're neat looking flies but I'm not ready to shell out for additional vise accessories and materials this late in my fly tying career

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-01-2014, 12:06 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been tying tubes for somewhere around 2 years, they're fun to tie and the flies last quite a quite a while longer if you can keep them from getting hung up on obstacles. I fish them most often for Steelhead or Salmon, but also use them on smallmouth. You certainly can use them for trout, warm water or toothy fish too.

Streamers are the ideal pattern from my perspective to tie on a tube but that's not to say they're the only pattern you can tie them on. Perhaps that's just my personal taste. I have seen nymphs and dries tied on them but I think it's hard to top tying dries or nymphs on a shank for trout. If I were going to recommend tubes to tie for trout, start with a bugger and go from there.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:32 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

I've been tying tubes for over 10 years. They don't make a lot of sense in basic insect patterns. Their appropriate for streamers mostly, and I've tied some very effective tube poppers for saltwater and bass. You do not need a kit to get started. There's all kinds of tubing available at hobby shops and craft stores. I have a bunch of tubing I got years ago from a hobby shop and I think it was related to model airplanes or something. But it's rigid, heavy, white plastic tubing. I think I even saw a very similar product in the craft section at Walmart. You need nothing special for your vise. Cut a small piece of tubing. Get a small finish nail that fits thru the tubing. Run it thru the tubing until it stops against the head of the nail. Now, clamp the point end of the nail in the jaws of your vise. Grab it with the vise jaws right where the tubing ends so you've got the tubing jammed and it won't rotate when you tie on it. That's it! You're ready to go! After the fly is tied you just slip the nail out. You can add a cone head by leaving extra tubing in front of the fly, slip your cone on and then melt the plastic tube in front of the cone. The tube will swell just enough from the heat to make the cone permanent.
The sky is the limit with tube flies. I like to add what's called junction tubing to my tube flies. It's a small piece of clear air line tubing (like for aquariums). Get a size that slips snugly over the fly tube. Fit it on the back of the tube so you can snug the eye of your hook into it when rigging. This is really important because it holds the hook in place which will make the fly track correctly... Acting like a rudder. If your hook is just hanging out the back of the fly, the fly will have no orientation when it swims. It also eliminates tying a knot in your leader to jam up into the tube. That makes me nervous. Having an overhand knot in your leader will weaken it and jamming that knot into a tube will compromise it further.

Here's some good info. Scroll down toward the bottom to see some examples of tube flies rigged with junction tubing
http://www.flyfisherman.com/2013/05/30/tube-flies/
jaybo41 likes this.