The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My first Clouser...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Measure the hook point to eye as precisely as you can. One measurement you gave me matches up to size 6, the other to size 2. Only two sizes I have.
Pictures even better - hook point to eye 1.25"

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:21 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Perfect, I was measuring diagonally. That's a #2. About the equivalent of 1/0 in some other brands I have. Craig tying on ought size hooks and asking for more. I knew you would adapt to new water lol.

I'll send you some more junk tomorrow so you can practice your mad Clouser skills.
craigthor likes this.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Perfect, I was measuring diagonally. That's a #2. About the equivalent of 1/0 in some other brands I have. Craig tying on ought size hooks and asking for more. I knew you would adapt to new water lol.

I'll send you some more junk tomorrow so you can practice your mad Clouser skills.
a bit of a jump from the 26's, now we need some warm weather so we can test them out.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:13 PM

Made my second attempt tonite, in a week or so I will be needing more materials so I can get serious about my big bugs.

Clouser number 2 - Moved the eyes about 1/4" further up and looks much better proportioned.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:07 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I like your first Clouser, as well as the second. They can be tied all kinds of ways & all are fine. Depends on what you need them to do as far as the jigging action. That first one should ride a bit more horizontal than the second. Smaller eyes can also be used along with positioning to change the amount of jigging.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:08 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

That looks good. You'll have to take it for a swim and then you'll know if that is exactly where you want the eyes. It's fairly sparse on bucktail, as it should be. Same goes for the synthetic hair patterns. Less is more according to everything I have read.
craigthor likes this.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

clousers are not supposed to dive but swim level and drop level, that's what bob created and everyone has changed.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
clousers are not supposed to dive but swim level and drop level, that's what bob created and everyone has changed.
Except that Bob describes in his own videos that the "dipping and darting" through the water is what entices fish.

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

BTW -- As I understand it, calling it a "Clouser" minnow is kind of a rip-off given that people were tying identical bucktail patterns with bead chain eyes for years before Bob Clouser added lead eyes to the same pattern and claimed the name.

I'm sure a lot of other patterns are like that though -- which should lead to a rule:

1. No naming any patterns after yourself.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Except that Bob describes in his own videos that the "dipping and darting" through the water is what entices fish
that's right dipping and darting is not jigging action.. dipping would be at a 45 deg. slide and darting would be a straight but quick movement.

[quoteNo naming any patterns after yourself. ][/quote]

lol--- its been done for over a hundred years.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
that's right dipping and darting is not jigging action.. dipping would be at a 45 deg. slide and darting would be a straight but quick movement.

[quoteNo naming any patterns after yourself. ]
lol--- its been done for over a hundred years.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure

Let's argue more about this "jigging" vs. "dipping downward at a 45 degree angle" thing. I really, really want to define and describe the difference here and then hurl cuss words at each other across several pages .
itchmesir likes this.