The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 PM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road
Default Hare's Mask

I bought a hare's mask today to make some hare's ear nymphs, and begin my foray in to tying trout flies (as opposed to warm water flies). How do you guys go about making dubbing with it?
I would rather not have to purchase a coffee grinder specifically for this. I have heard about poking little air holes in a ziplock bag, putting hair in it, and blasting in it with a can of compressed air.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hare's Mask

I have seen on YouTube where the can of compressed air works very well. I have an old coffee grinder that I use. Another old fashioned method is to just pick up a clump and pull the fibers between your hands, kind of a slow mixing motion. I've used that technique when blending a couple of different colors of dubbing and for small amounts it works fine.

Larry
kingofamberley likes this.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Just keep pulling the fibers between your index fingers and thumbs, almost like you are ripping the dubbing, if you get some clumps pinch and rip.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:50 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Rabbits have 2 layers of fur: the long, coarse protective fibers; and the soft, fluffy underfur. Each has its uses.

I pinch a bit of fur with my left thumb and forefinger (I'm right handed), and trim it off as close to the skin as I can. I then gently pull the underfur out of the clump with my right thumb and forefinger. The underfur becomes the dubbing.

Clear as mud?
CAB
Old 01-31-2014, 10:50 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Hare's Mask:

1. Fur from the ears is good for dark spiky bodies. The fur from the outer ear is very dark, while the inner ear and back of the ears is light brown and white. Ear fur is very stiff and may be mixed with fur from the face for a softer dubbing mixture...

2. Fur located between the eyes is good for tailing as well as body dubbing. Clean out the under-fur after cutting the fur off the mask. Doing this will give you more quality fibers and guard hairs in your dubbing. This fur makes soft medium-dark body dubbing...

3. Crown fur (in the center below the ears) is a reddish-brown shade and is good for nedium body color. The fibers are long and may be used for a lighter-shade tail material...

4. Upper face fur (Just below the ears on each side) is premium. It is the standard hare's mask dubbing because it's a medium shade and contains a balanced combination of light and medium-dark fibers...

5. Cheek fur makes a light reddish-orange dubbing...

From: Tying and fishing Soft-Hackled Nymhps - Allen McGee Pg. 22

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-01-2014, 01:06 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

You'll Find as mentioned taking some Fur From The Mask & just Dubbing it onto The Thread works well & by adding a Little Wax to The Thread makes Dubbing The Hare's Fur onto The Thread a Lot easier.

Brian
Old 02-01-2014, 04:23 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
I would rather not have to purchase a coffee grinder specifically for this. I have heard about poking little air holes in a ziplock bag, putting hair in it, and blasting in it with a can of compressed air.
well the coffee grinder does a good job a chopping up furs, other fibers and blending/mixing unless you want to use scissors and the plastic bag and air trick only mixes thing up. totally up to you.

sorry the first two links are in french but you should get the idea

Montage mouche un dubbing rapide fly tying

Montage mouche le dubbing flytying

Fly Tying: A Complete Dubbing Techniques Tutorial the limp cobra

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 02-01-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Like the compressed air, poke a hole in the lid of a coffee can and put a straw through. Put your material in and blow

([name that movie] "You know how to whistle don't you Steve?" "You just put your lips together and blow" )

or... Use the felt method. Put your material in a jar with water. Shake it up. Run it through a filter. Let it dry
Old 02-02-2014, 11:44 AM

dennisv58 is on a distinguished road

For many years when starting out I used a method from Eric Leisure or Dick Talleur can't remember which one. At the time sometime in the early 70's you or should I say I never heard of blending fur with a coffee blender, so I Blended by hand using water: Just immerse materials in a container with water and stir to mix. Allow to dry on newspaper and then fluff. Later on I bought a blender and have used it ever since.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:01 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
I would rather not have to purchase a coffee grinder specifically for this.
If you OWN a coffee grinder, this is a GREAT excuse to buy a better one for your home use. If not, take a look at a few second hand/thrift stores and you can probably find one for $2-3. A new one will likely cost you around $10 at WallyMart.

**BOOM** Procter Silex Fresh Grind Coffee Grinder: Appliances : Walmart.com