The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 AM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jig Hook Paterns?

One of my favorites to tie on jig hooks is a Pink Squirrel (see Trout Unlimited - Pink Squirrel). This is an "in the round", beadhead nymph so it easily adapts to tying on a jog hook. As with many patterns, there are lots of variations. Many people use a reddish brown or dark brown dubbing for the abdomen and most now use pink dubbing, like UV Pink Ice Dub, for the collar. This works well as a lead /attractor fly while nymph fishing for trout. It's also a good panfish fly and a good ice fishing fly.

Also, I think PlanetTrout (see previous reply) is being too modest. There are a ton of great looking flies on his blog with many of them on jig hooks.

Last edited by johnstoeckel; 02-04-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I used to run the state "pay-to-fish" ponds here in CT.
These ponds were loaded with aquatic worms (and huge trout)
Day after day the hot fly was always (always) a marabou jig fly fished under an indicator
Cast out, give it a twitch, let it sit.
The fly was as easy to tie as you might think ... jig head hook - marabou body/tail
The color made a difference though. It was a different color every day, but once you figured that out, you were golden.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 AM

bmxrider11976 will become famous soon enoughbmxrider11976 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
One of my favorites to tie on jig hooks is a Pink Squirrel (see Trout Unlimited - Pink Squirrel). This is an "in the round", beadhead nymph so it easily adapts to tying on a jog hook. As with many patterns, there are lots of variations. Many people use a reddish brown or dark brown dubbing for the abdomen and most now use pink dubbing, like UV Pink Ice Dub, for the collar. This works well as a lead /attractor fly while nymph fishing for trout. It's also a good panfish fly and a good ice fishing fly.

Also, I think PlanetTrout (see previous reply) is being too modest. There are a ton of great looking flies on his blog with many of them on jig hooks. See ATTRACTOR PATTERNS FOR SPRING 2014…(In Progress)… | PlanetTrout for example.

I knew he was being modest because I have seen some of his ties! Thanks for the link to his blog. Hey planettrout, you've got a new follower in me!

Making the best of New Jersey, one fish at a time!
Old 02-04-2014, 11:10 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Thanks guys !!!

I only put up my patterns on "What have you been tying today?"...linking back to my site, with patterns or any other postings, is a big NO-NO...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Introducing the John Deere mini-jig:

http://http://s171.photobucket.com/u...97938264061549
Click the image to open in full size.

Used a lot in the Ozarks for trout, drifted under an indcator as you would a nymph. The green and yellow head does seem to make a difference.