The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 06:59 PM

bmxrider11976 will become famous soon enoughbmxrider11976 will become famous soon enough
Default Jig Hook Paterns?

Hello all!

I got some Allen jig style hooks on their Black Friday deal. I used a few to tie up some jigs for ice fishing....but I'm looking for patterns to tie for fly fishing, mostly trout and panfish. Preferably something basic, as I'm just getting the hang of tying!

Pardon the typo in the title. Could a mod fix that?

Making the best of New Jersey, one fish at a time!

Last edited by bmxrider11976; 02-03-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:08 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Jig Hook Paterns?

You can tie any traditional pattern on a jig... Prince.. PTs... Scud... Hares Ear...
Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 PM

bmxrider11976 will become famous soon enoughbmxrider11976 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
You can tie any traditional pattern on a jig... Prince.. PTs... Scud... Hares Ear...
What about the wing case on those flies? Just forgo it?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:18 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

What size are they?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 PM

They are size 12. Unfortunately they were out of 14's and 16's when I ordered. I didn't want to miss out on the deal so I snagged up some 12's.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:46 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

OK. They are great hooks for larger streamers. Guys like Dan Blanton use them almost exclusively now for Delta Stripers and saltwater.

In the smaller sizes they may be good for marabou flies like buggers. Could be deadly under and indicator.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 PM

Click the image to open in full size.
Went with the bugger idea. I like the looks of it. Any other ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
itchmesir likes this.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 PM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxrider11976 View Post
What about the wing case on those flies? Just forgo it?
On jig hooks, I tie the nymphs 'in the round'…that way the orientation of the body parts does not matter. If you don't want to do this, then you could tie the pattern such that the wing case is on the inside of the hook (a rotary vise makes this easier)
itchmesir likes this.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

A couple of years ago the largest trout at our club outing was caught on a black garnet simiseal leech tied on a jig hook. The leech pattern of your choice should work fine.
Another of our most prolific fish catchers ties all of his buggers/leeches on 10's; 12's so your hook size is good.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:39 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Check out Loren Williams smaller jig patterns. They are meant for Trout in waters close to where you live and there is an SBS for each:

Loren Williams

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/