The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By jbird
  • 1 Post By pm287
  • 2 Post By jbird
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By ted4887
  • 2 Post By theboz
  • 1 Post By jbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 07:13 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Big streamers

I love tying Puglisi style streamers. They move beautifully in the water. Tied with correct materials, they even flow and pulse on the pause. One downside is they can get real gnarled and tangled, especially getting chewed in the salt. This is a pattern I tied in abundance for a Baja guiding outfit years ago designed to imitate the Sardina (Flat Iron Herring) These flies also have a tendency to foul around the hook, so on this pattern, I coated the front 1/3 with silicone. It really ramped up the durability and made it track even better than the original.

This fly was designed for saltwater but I have caught just about everything on this pattern. Smallies and northerns cant resist it. Largemouth chasing shad will crush it. Large trout love it too.

This one was tied on a 2/0 Tiemco 811s. Its a blend of EP fibers and crystal flash and crinkle flash

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, ted4887, tpo and 2 others like this.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:32 PM

pm287 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Big streamers

That is a beautiful fly!!! But I do not recognize the vise. What kind is it?

Thanks and have a great day
Paul
jbird likes this.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:40 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm287 View Post
That is a beautiful fly!!! But I do not recognize the vise. What kind is it?

Thanks and have a great day
Paul
Good eye Paul! That is an original Burgstrom. Later picked up by Beulah. Now, completely out of circulation.
pm287 and craigthor like this.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jay: Sweet looking pattern!

Larry
jbird likes this.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

That's a great job jbird.
jbird likes this.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:48 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking fly! I think the silicon is a good move as well! Those types of patterns have a habit of getting gnarly in the salt. I found that by keeping them in plastic bags laying flat they seem to stay straighter longer! If you ever watch Enrico when he's tying one of those he combs it out more than a barber giving a haircut! Watching him tying and listening I think that he believes the combing of the fly every step of the tie makes the fly stay straighter for the maximum usage! Think he's right but I also believe using the silicon like you do and the plastic bag storage makes a tremendous difference! Again, Super Pattern!
mcnerney and jbird like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Great looking fly! I think the silicon is a good move as well! Those types of patterns have a habit of getting gnarly in the salt. I found that by keeping them in plastic bags laying flat they seem to stay straighter longer! If you ever watch Enrico when he's tying one of those he combs it out more than a barber giving a haircut! Watching him tying and listening I think that he believes the combing of the fly every step of the tie makes the fly stay straighter for the maximum usage! Think he's right but I also believe using the silicon like you do and the plastic bag storage makes a tremendous difference! Again, Super Pattern!
YES! Combing is very important in the shape of the fly too. You must comb it very aggressively before trimming it to shape. And I always carry a small flea comb when I'm fishing and comb it out periodically. And you are corect, the silicone really helps in the management of this pattern. It just requires less upkeep in the field.
mcnerney likes this.