The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 03:55 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Whiting Capes

Guys

So, sort of ticked at myself. I bought a Whiting Cape yesterday in Medium Dun. Looking at the cape it is fine, but being that it is pro grade that means two things

1) There aren't as many hackles for size 18-22 that I would prefer as if I had bought a higher quality cape
2) I don't tie a lot of bigger flies, such as 10's and 12's.

I don't tie or fish streamers a lot, that being said should I plan on selling or giving away the cape when I get down to the bigger feathers. Or are their some patterns good for the front range staring me in the face that I could use those bigger ones for.

Do you all buy the Gold/Platinum or Ultra Platinum capes ? Or are the bronze/silver/silver pro capes what you buy ?

I am really new at tying dries (less than a month) so there is a fair amount to learn
Old 02-09-2014, 04:01 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Whiting Capes

What about saddles if you are going to be tying small flies almost exclusively? They usually come in pre-sized packs or full saddles that have several sizes. The really long saddle feathers are easier to work with also. Not sure if capes, saddles, or 100 packs are more economical....
mcnerney, tyler185 and dean_mt like this.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:36 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

You can tie hoppers in almost any color you can dream up. That shade of hackle will be perfect for yellow stoneflys. Stimulators are always good in the box. Trude fashioned flies and downwing caddis imitations with deer hair wings, down or upright and divided will also work well. Do some paraduns in the bigger sizes for drakes and flavs. You can tie flies from size #4 to whatever in these styles and they will serve you well on the front range.

While the super duper capes would always be nice to have, I have always gotten along with the lesser grades for my fishing fly tying needs. If you got the cash buy them (they are beautiful !), if not don't don't worry about it. Either is not going to help you catch more fish or fish easier.

Caution .....don't get stuck in the "small fly front range rut ". Keep learning all the different methods, wet, dry fly, streamer, nymph, they'll serve you well and keep the eventual boredom, and loss of interest from happening when you fish day after day same o same o.
littledavid123 and ia_trouter like this.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:51 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

thanks guys

I know the cape is fine and I can probably tie more size 22's than me and my buddies can lose in trees in the next 5 years. Being the cheapskate I am, I was thinking if I can get triple the flies in the size I use for double the price, why not.

I like the ideas you guys put forth on saddles, will have to keep that in mind. Also like the pattern suggestions. Fishing the front range 99.99999999% of all my fishing I do tend to run the same dries and midges all the time.

I guess if I get to the point of no return I can tie some bigger ones for donations or something along that lines.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:14 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I echo calftail's thought and suggest you look for a saddle next time you need it...next time. I bet you'll have that cape for a long time though. I actually just got to the point of only large and tiny feathers left on a brown cape I've had for years and years. Its amazing how long they last. I've bought some saddles over the years as the prime sized feathers thinned out, but still.

Checkout http://www.featheremporium.com next time you are looking...so many options.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If the larger feathers have stiff barbs they work great for dry fly tails. Can also use the larger feather barbs for nymph tails and legs. Don't forget to explore bass on the front range, large feathers work for streamers and poppers too

Oh and +1 for the feather emporium.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:33 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i wonder why you didnt buy the right cape/saddle in the first place if thats the sizes you only tie?

not everything on the front range is size 18-22. i know ive fished and lived there for 11 years

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-10-2014, 04:43 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

He gives the very reason in his post.

Quote:
i wonder why you didnt buy the right cape/saddle in the first place if thats the sizes you only tie?
Quote:
I am really new at tying dries (less than a month) so there is a fair amount to learn
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I echo calftail's thought and suggest you look for a saddle next time you need it...next time. I bet you'll have that cape for a long time though. I actually just got to the point of only large and tiny feathers left on a brown cape I've had for years and years. Its amazing how long they last. I've bought some saddles over the years as the prime sized feathers thinned out, but still.

Checkout Fly Tying Feathers | Whiting Hackle | Feathers for Fly Tying next time you are looking...so many options.

I will have to check this out. But to your point yes the cape will last for many years and no doubt I will get value out of it. I was just thinking if there is a better way , why not explore it. I will look at saddles next time.

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
If the larger feathers have stiff barbs they work great for dry fly tails. Can also use the larger feather barbs for nymph tails and legs. Don't forget to explore bass on the front range, large feathers work for streamers and poppers too

Oh and +1 for the feather emporium.
Definitely started using the stiff barbs off the larger feather for my BWO and Adams tails. I am sure I will use a lot of them for that.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post

not everything on the front range is size 18-22. i know ive fished and lived there for 11 years
The cape is fine, quality is great. Just when I got tying flies and started looking at Whitings grading system, I see the Higher graded capes have a larger quantity of feathers suited for size 18-22 and since that is my sweet spot, figured I would ask and get a education from all of you. You are right, not everything here is 18's and smaller, but a lot of it is. For me 70% of the time I end up with small flies on, so conversely I tie a lot of small stuff.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:22 AM

Holy cow, just looked at feather emporium website. That is like a kid in disneyland. What dont they have. I am all about supporting my local fly shop but with the selection and prices I might just rev up the AMEX soon.
williamhj likes this.