The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 11:09 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Feather Europium

Ordered a second order from Feather Europium. A hen cape, couple goose wing feathers, some tailing fibers and the top trim off of a saddle,,,a 'saddle patch' with some really tiny feathers in brown. I have some super small grizzly's,,,so I'm gonna try to find me some 22-24 size hooks and try some tiny flies. Maybe even smaller than that just to satisfy my own curiosity. Were,,,is a good place to search for the smaller hooks ?

I got a dry fly cape from FE,,and if you remember I had questions. But the more I learned about how they are graded,,I think he did me good after all. There was a bunch of Cree's even on one lower side,,and I didn't have to pay extra really for them being on the cape. Id purchased the bottom grade on the scale and with him giving me one that had prob 25percent Cree's,,I feel now he did me very decent.

I'll let ya know what I think this time. I'm just glad I got some education before I went back on him about the last cape.

I'm snowed in and bored,,,,lol

Mike
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:42 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Feather Europium

Good to know, I just ordered some dyed grizzly to play with on some flies. Figure for pike and bass they are going to destroy the fly anyways so I just ordered some smaller things to test out.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:16 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i wish everybody has good luck buying hackle feathers online but i just cant bring myself to do it. i guess that's just me or experience.

i do realize that today's hackle products are far superior to the hackles i bought in the early 80's when i started tying flies. but the process i learned from my tying instructor regarding the selection of hackles hasn't changed one bit.

i just don't want some inexperienced person to pluck a $$$ cape or saddle off the peg board just to fulfill my order.

i have to have that package of hackles in my hands regardless if its a rooster, hen, cape or saddles. since i'm paying some good amount of a paycheck for feathers i want to inspect what i'm buying at the time i'm buying it.

i like to remove the feathers from the zip lock baggie and splay open the feathers and check for signs of bug life (they could be in there). i inspect a few feathers for webbiness or lack thereof, flex of the hackle stem, consistent barb length, consistent color etc.

the whole cape/saddle feathers will get a check for the size of flies i want to tie, consistent color and shininess, making sure the skin was well prepared (no meat left attached)

after all of that is done then i'm ready to spend a good chunk of my paycheck for what i have determined is the best deal for me

just my 2 cents in the grand scheme of things.
mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
i wish everybody has good luck buying hackle feathers online but i just cant bring myself to do it. i guess that's just me or experience.

i just don't want some inexperienced person to pluck a $$$ cape or saddle off the peg board just to fulfill my order.
I can understand what your getting at here and totally agree, my only issue is that there is zero places within 50 miles for me to go and inspect feathers before purchase except a bass pro shop, and quite frankly their hackle feather are junk

my experience from feather emporium was two days to my door from the point of purchase and these appear to be some of the best hackle feathers i have bought so far.

i did a small order to test the waters, so to speak
Old 02-13-2014, 07:49 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Yeah, I have a very long drive to find anything resembling a fly shop. There is one that is less than a half day's drive of my house but getting there is a royal pain. Once I figure in the cost of gas to drive all that way, I am paying a super premium on already high prices. It is a great shop but is only a once or twice a year kind of place.
mcnerney and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Im in the same boat. When I am in a fly shop, I spend an INAPROPRIATE amount of time opening packages and thumbing thru hairs and feather. They must hate me. I'll pull off every bucktail, inspect them and put them in little piles of grades before I select. The worst is when I do this then leave the store with nothing. LOL

My closest fly shop is 2 hours away, so whenever I find myself in a flyshop, I am prepared to buy.

I will buy online, but mostly hooks, thread, beads, eyes, etc... or only if Im desperate for something.
mcnerney and ted4887 like this.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:35 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I've found FE to be a great place to buy feathers.

Randy
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Yep I am in the same place as to not having anywhere near to see hackles. I've come to find some good places and not so good places and I always buy the smallest I can if I don't know how well they can pick.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

As I originally said

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post

just my 2 cents in the grand scheme of things.
Just trying to relate experience
mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 02-13-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:20 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

As I originally said

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
I can understand what your getting at here and totally agree, my only issue is that there is zero places within 50 miles for me to go and inspect feathers before purchase except a bass pro shop, and quite frankly their hackle feather are junk

my experience from feather emporium was two days to my door from the point of purchase and these appear to be some of the best hackle feathers i have bought so far.

i did a small order to test the waters, so to speak