The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 01:19 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Let's talk streamers

Quote:
I happen to agree with Mr Galloup's statement 100%.
When you put a new fly out for the world to see, nobody expects a miracle, but a "new" fly needs to serve it's purpose better than what's already out there... at the very least in some small application. Otherwise what's the point ?
Rip, for most of us, this is the point!

Quote:
Do I test every Pattern before I post it, no, but I'm not selling them, I'm just having fun with them.
Well said bear 007
dean_mt and ia_trouter like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:08 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we need the full article that this thread is based on instead of just a "soundbite"....
Talking Streamers with Kelly Galloup | MidCurrent
brookfieldangler likes this.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:25 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
It just wreaks of pretentiousness that turns so many people off to fly fishing. While I'm sure I'm not saying anything that people don't already know, people think fly fishermen are a bunch of snobs. Shocking, right? Unfortunately, statements like this from a guy who is kind of worshiped don't really help dispel that thought. I mean seriously...your supposed to fish a damn fly for an entire year before you post a picture on Facebook? Nonsense. I tie a fly that catches 3 musky the very next day and you can bet your ass that I'm gonna post a picture of it on Facebook and sell them to everyone who asked. Will I change it? You bet but the original still caught fish.
I respectfully disagree. I do not think it is snobbish for a fly fisherman to call out another fly fisherman. Heck...we are ALL snobs, right? But seriously, I do not think Gallup is turning anyone off from fly fishing. Kelly is in fact one of the "new" fly fishing guys that is the opposite of the snobbish fly fishing elite. He isn't preaching dry fly purity or calling guys out for nymphing. He creates huge streamer patterns with obnoxious names and goes out in search of only big fish that crash into streamers.

But I digress. I think that I can relate to the feeling he is trying to convey. There is nothing wrong with posting fly pictures while the head cement dries but there is a disconnect to the actual fishing. I think we live in an instant gratification society and many people want to post pictures of everything so as to "keep up the e-Jones" so to speak. Gallup develops patterns and puts his name on them, so it makes sense that he is going to spend a little more time before marketing them. It is his business, livelihood and life. He did not say that you are supposed to spend a year refining your flies. He said that he does, sometimes.
bigjim5589, Rip Tide and ted4887 like this.