The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By fly_guy12955
  • 3 Post By Hardyreels
  • 3 Post By flytire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default fly tying tip,,,

I'm a learner so this might not be as important to old hands at tying..but I back myself up at stages with half hitches,,just so if I misjudge my tension and thread breaks,,or ,,things dont look good and I wanna back up and redo,,,then I dont have the entire fly come un-done. Just thought maybe some of you guys learning like I am might benefit from this.

Mike * Prince of Booboo's
Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: fly tying tip,,,

Definitely a great tip especially when working on a many step fly.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Mike,

Depending on size this will work but there are times when you won't want any extra thread bulk on a tie. If you are not in a hurry, try a little dab of head cement (just a bit on the point of a dubbing needle) put a dab on and let the bobbin hand for a minute. Then continue, if you screw up and clip the thread the cement will be very helpful.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-13-2014, 11:17 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

A half hitch in time will save you, a few more wraps
Old 02-13-2014, 11:45 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I've done that too, Ard,,esp when I get my tailing just right,,,I'll put just a wee bit on the butts ,,wait,,then wrap a couple more times before dubbing or quilling. Sometimes they fall just right,,but,,,now and then after I fuss with tailing on a really tiny fly,,I just dont want things to change and have to fuss with them again. I'm learning pretty good how to use my left thumb and 'spread backwards as i warp forwards',,and getting pretty good at a decent splay so they ride right on the water. The little trick you told me bout a few extra wraps to help splay them works wonders too.

Mike
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

that is a good tying tip that can be used anywhere on the fly as you see fit. sometimes the weight of a hanging bobbin holder is just not enough.

i have been tying 30+ years and a half hitch now and then have saved many flies from totally unraveling. 1 half hitch does not add any bulk. 57 wraps of thread in one area to tie off a material adds bulk

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/