The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By luked
  • 1 Post By luked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default Ordered me a new vise today

Tax return came in so got a fee things I'm going to get. So first off been wanting a nice vise so today I ordered me a anvil atlas rotary vise.
Should be here first part of the week can't wait to get it
Old 02-14-2014, 03:21 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ordered me a new vise today

You'll love it.

A couple of quick notes...

1. The stiffness in the rotary function will loosen up over time

2. Put a dab of locktite on the little rotary handle.

3. there are 2 grooves in the jaws. One towards the tip of the jaws for smaller stuff and one towards the base for bigger stuff.

That's all. Carry on. Enjoy
Old 02-14-2014, 05:00 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

I had an anvil apex years ago and was really pleased with it as well as the customer service anvil has. The apex I had was probably around 10 years old and hadn't been used much the last time I did use it and the jaws had gotten rusted up. Called anvil and within a few days had a brand new set of jaws in the mail at my house. Can't complain about that
Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 AM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough

Have you received the new Atlas yet? I got mine about 2 1/2 months ago and have been really pleased with it. I would recommend taking a scotch brite pad to the area where the cam comes in contact with the adjustment nut on the jaw housing in order to get the coating off. Also, I sprayed that whole area with some white lithium grease to free up the movement. It was pretty stiff before that, but having done those two things it's much easier to operate now.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 PM

It should be in tomorrow sometime by the tracking number. I can't wait to get it.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 PM

jr2525 is on a distinguished road

I have 2, 1 that I leave at my camper and a 2nd that stays home. Great vise and I won't say "for the price" because I have tied on lots of higher priced vices that I wouldn't even consider for my Apex. You will enjoy tying on it for many years to come.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:25 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Congrats on a new vise. Love them tax returns,,I have THREE fly tying supply orders coming in. Restocking my hooks from Allen's, a dark barred ginger hen cape from Feather Europium plus a couple or few other 'feathered' things,,and some supplies from J. Stockard.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:34 PM

Got my order from j stocksrd today but my vise did not come in. So hoping for tomorrow for it to come in.