The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 11:20 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Must read articles for beginner fly tiers

Invariably, a major problem a beginner fly tier has is fly proportion. Fly proportion = the amount of and length of materials and where they are placed on hook to form a fly where the individual parts have the correct relationship to each other.

Here is a must read article by Charlie Craven on dry fly and nymph proportions.

Tying Flies | Fly Fisherman

Here's a related article on tying hair wings.

Mounting Hair Wings - Fly Fisherman

I suggest saving these articles as PDFs that you can refer to as needed. FF often takes done the articles after they have been up for a while. The above URLS may not work in a few months.

Please take down the thread if referral to the articles is prohibited.
mcnerney, kglissmeyer1 and pm287 like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-19-2014, 11:53 AM

pm287 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Must read articles for beginner fly tiers

Those are two solid articles to file.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2014, 02:14 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Must read articles for beginner fly tiers

I was asked how to save web pages a pdf files:

I have an iMac and I can go to my print command and there is an option to save as a PDF document instead of printing the page.

Alternatively, you can select the portion of the page/pages you want and copy it to a clipboard and then to a text document. If the copy command does not copy the photos/illustrations, I have a shortcut command on my iMac by holding down the (Command/Shift/4) keys, I can cut any part of my desktop as a jpeg file that I can place into the correct place in the text document to recreate the document. Then I save that as the appropriate name.

Here are other methods:

Five ways to save a Web page | How To - CNET

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy