The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By fly_guy12955
  • 3 Post By luked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 10:36 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default sometimes,,,you are just the bug....

Had and BRILLIANT idea tonite...OK,,,I used the barred,,or plain,,I used barred,,rubber stings you use for 'legs' on nymphs, stoneflies,,etc....and thought,,,'dang,,they float (well a straight piece does),,,why not use them to wrap a 'quill' looking body on a dry fly. I used a standard dry hook,,size 16,,made a nice Adams 'quilled' body dry,,using the rubber 'round and 'round the hook for a quilled body. Sank like the Titanic. Looks like a million,,it really does,,but I guess the mass is too heavy when you wrap it around the hook,,,I did build up a taper with thread underneath first though.

Oh well,,,there went my 'cheap and easy rubber quill' idea. One might could make it float with enough floatant added,,but I wouldn't bother. Gonna fish this 'dry' as a 'wet' on bluegills or something I suppose.

Guess sometimes ya just have'ta try it...

Mike
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:12 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: sometimes,,,you are just the bug....

Mike, if I had a dollar for every great idea I thought I had at the tying bench, I'd have quite a few dollars! At least Bluegills & other panfishes aren't too critical of failed attempts. Still, I learned a lot from experimenting too. It appears you have also learned something! Keep at it! Thanks for sharing, as perhaps your failed attempt, may in fact help someone else!

I need to tie some midge & other small nymph patterns. Perhaps the rubber would be a good material for that application since it sinks!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Jim, I used a barred brownish rubber ,,and I tell you,,it looked so quill/bug body like that I was totally excited,,till I tried to float it lol..but if you want a quill looking body for a sub-surface fly,,this should be good stuff. I'm gonna work on that very idea myself. The rubber is a LOT cheaper than buying quills...and so easy to wrap that it's even fun. I think you could turn it ever other turn and get a real good 'grub' look with it. White outta wrap a super meal worm or maggot fly.

Let us know what your experiments show you, pard.

Mike
Old 02-24-2014, 07:15 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

thats why rubber legs are on nymphs and not dry flies

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 AM

Flytire...they float just fine till you wrap them. Try it. If they are straight like 'legs' they are buoyant to the max. I use them on top-water bugs a lot...just as legs though,,not coiled.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Maybe make the same style body but used for a nymph. Or a segmented body like on a scud