The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default ice dubbing

seen this ice dubbing and had to get it. look at the irridesence in this stuff! now you can add it to all your nymphs and get a sparkle out of um! any guys use this ice dub? any patterns I should try? this should really work great for the steelhead around here and any other fish for that matter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30453.JPG (82.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30451.JPG (79.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30452.JPG (80.9 KB, 11 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ice dubbing

YOU BET! I cut mine with regular superfine dubbing sometimes, but that spectramizing effect is awesome! Try using a dubbing loop and making the fly real bushy!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:45 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

thanks joni. I am new to the dubbing loop. I have seen it in books and online but never tried it. does this help make a bushier thorax? I have always just twisted dubbing on the thread.. I got this tool with all my tools. is it for the dubbing loop? never could figure out whats its for but it was called a dubbing pick or something but now that i look at it it looks like the loop some people make out of hanger to twist the loop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30454.JPG (81.4 KB, 8 views)

Old 02-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is for a dubbing loop. Check this out first: Dubbing Loop
Locking the loop like in #3 and #4 is really important. But I do this and the back of the hook. So make a loop with your thread(doesn't really matter if it is too long you can fix that at the eye) at the back of the hook and place the hook tool to hold the loop. Lock it off like in the link, then run the thread to the eye of the hook. I am going to say, this is where a rotary vise is the best. Put a knot in the thread by the eye now so it stays put. Take a clump of dubbing and with both hands keep pulling it apart so that the fibers end up all horizontal.
Put small batches in the loop, you want it to be on the thin side or the fly will end up WAY too bushy. Place the dubbing in the loop and slide it to cover say 3" to 5" of the loop, but try to keep them HORIZONTAL. Then spin the hook tool to make a rope out of the dubbing. It will end up looking like Mohair chenille.
Wrap the hook like you would with chenille. Tie off at eye and then brush it out. I use velcro to fluff.
Good luck....much bushier flies!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:11 PM

I will have to give it a try. any good patterns to use it on? or can you sue it anytime you are suppose to dub a body?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I use the "Cinnamon" color ice dub for my P.M.D. emergers and adults on the SouthFork, they have a pinkish hue to em there.
originally just tried it for something different, and now it's what I use all the time for em.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-29-2008, 12:07 AM

that cinnamon gives off a crazy pink uv color its sweet looking!!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

It has worked well, seems to have just a touch of purple in the flash also.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Do as Joni suggested and put it in a loop, don't forget to pick it out a little also for a really buggy look.
You can use it on various nymphs, wet flies, or buggers too, depending on the size and type of bug, you may also want to trim it down a little bit.

Give it a try, experiment a little and you will really like spinning dubbing loops.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:36 PM

I have never been one for the hook like you have but I also never gave it a real try.
I have this one sold by Orvis which has the little hook but also the wire, and the "W" which is my favorite.

Click the image to open in full size.

I also have this one, but a tad bulky:

A long with the velcro on a popcicle stick I have this picker that has little teeth all the way down: