The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flytying tips and techniques.......

FXP the glass bead sounds great! How durable is it?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:11 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Extra fingers around the vice.

Use a single knot with bodyglas (larvalace) for holding the hackle back.

Click the image to open in full size.

Trygve
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Trygve: Excellent idea for those times you need a couple extra fingers to hold the hackle back out of the way!

Larry
Old 11-30-2009, 04:41 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

One way adding a eye to a fly

Trygve
Old 02-24-2010, 01:52 AM

reed007 is on a distinguished road

I work in an auto parts store and we sell magnetic parts holders. I have one about three inch diameter stuck to the clamp for my vise. It catches the trash, I can put a couple of hooks in it that will stay when I dump the scraps. If I drop hooks, I just run it over the carpet and it will pick them up.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

This is something everyone on here has already done, but I'll say it anyway. You can make VERY cheap scud shells by cutting apart a plastic sandwich bag into thin around 1/4'' inch thick by 1-1 1/2 inch long depending on hook. It also makes it easier to tie on when you taper the end.

Another simple one, kinda similar to reed007's. I've added small round magnets I found at the crafts store to my pedestal stand to hold bare hooks waiting to be tied or finished flies I haven't put into a box yet.

Cabot
Old 02-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
ALong the same lines of storage, I had a Bonnard plastic box with about 20 compartments that i had for hook storage---the lid fit tightly so the sizes would not mix. I thought i found the perfect organizer.

THE PROBLEM

One day i left the lid overhang the table and when my elbow hit it, flipped it off the table and throwing 1500 hooks to the floor in about a 5 ' circle. I spent 2 days picking up and separating hooks from size 28 to 4.

THE SOLUTION

I got a business card organizer that had pages of vinyl pockets (about 40) to slide 2x3 business cards into---I found some 2x3" 4 mil ziplock bags (McMaster.com) with a writable window on them and put a small piece of of index card in them to make them stiffer to slide the bags into the slots. I usually cut a part of the box to further identify the contents. Now my "accident exposure" is one bag of 100 hooks and chances are that they wont fly out of the bag if dropped.
I had a very similar accident. I'm not sure if I ever did find all the hooks. My solution was to take those refigerator magnet cards and calanders you get all the time, and cut pieces that fit the bottom of the sections. The hooks stick to them pretty well. It may not stop a mess if you fling it hard to the floor, but it will make it smaller and keeps most of it in place and stops the little hooks flying out when the lid goes 'pop'.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:43 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Not only is the "blue dental floss threader" good for threading a bobbin, but it is a huge time saver threading San Jaun Worm material through a bead.
Haven't used it yet but plan to use the dental floss threader to run rubber legs through clipped deer hair.
note* the threader is seamless and the loop collapses to teeny. It goes through a 5/64 bead. Maybe even smaller???
Old 05-11-2012, 02:10 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Beginner fly tying kit...

IMHO I would not get a complete kit. Vise, tools ,feathers ,fur etc .. A good way to start is to take a local FT course at a TU chapter or flyshop. I think a vise is the most important part of the setup so ck out this site:
Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!
as for tools you need:
  • a good sharp pair of scissors $5-$25
  • a decent bobbin $5-$25
  • A dubbing needle ,, make your own with a sewing needle & a swizzle stick.
  • Decent pair of tweezers $2-$10
  • A whip finisher, or better yet learn to tie off a fly by hand. you'll thank me later..
If your not going to take lessons, get a instructional video. It's important because there are a lot of little tricks & procedures, Hand position & such, that books can't show & they will make it a lot easier to start & will avoid your getting frustrated & giving up.
As for materials, decide what you want to tie. a lot of beginners start out on Wooly Buggers because they're fairly large, easy to tie, use most of the hand & attachment techniques & most of all they're a great all species fish catching fly. You don't need many materials: hooks, chenille, marabou, some type of hackle feather, thread & perseverance.
Like I said, I feel that a good solid vise is very important. There is nothing more frustrating than having the hook slip in the vise while your tying something on & watching the fly loosen up or unravel. I'm sure I left something out soooo....I'm relying on the other posters to chime in...

Good Luck

Neil
Old 04-18-2014, 10:42 AM

BadKarma is on a distinguished road

To keep from spilling my head cement, I use a piece of PVC that the bottle fits in and glue it to the station right next to my bodkin/steel wool cleaner.

Your local office supply store has flexible magnetic "pads" with sticky on one side. Easy to cut with scissors and mount wherever you need them for tools and such, I have a pad on my vice base for hooks.