The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flytying tips and techniques.......

Seen in another thread someone mentioning their rough, and callused(sp) hands.
Simple solution is to keep a little pumice stone on your bench, each time you sit down to tie just give your rough spots a quick going over with the stone.

You can find pumice stones in the cosmetic section of your local drug store, probably ask the wife to pick one up for ya if your uncomfortable going to that dept.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

A little trick for newer tiers.

If you want to come up with some different color combinations for your chennille, try taking 2 colors(smaller size)tie them in and twist them to create the varigated look and then wrap them on the hook.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-06-2008, 05:07 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road

As far as the hook storage/dropping an open plastic container... you can get those weekly pill boxes from a drug store. Each "day" or hook size opens independently of the others, so while you tie one size you don't need to worry about mixing various sizes/styles.
For dubbing containers, poke/drill a hole into old film canisters. You can then pull small bits of dubbing out as you need it.
Drier lint can be made/mixed into specific colors as a cheap way to make your own dubbing. I have also made a few "Daisy" nymphs(-the dogs name), with my dog's hair.
There is a real cool website with tons of tips for tiers and specifically organization... I'll track it down and get back to you.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:48 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
You can find pumice stones in the cosmetic section of your local drug store, probably ask the wife to pick one up for ya if your uncomfortable going to that dept.
Before settling down for a weeks tying on one of our trips---we brought 320 wet/dry sandpaper and sanded our hands.

You can feel better if your fishin buddy sees you in the automotive department instead of cosmetics---save sending your wife in for HH "hard as nails"
Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
Before settling down for a weeks tying on one of our trips---we brought 320 wet/dry sandpaper and sanded our hands.

You can feel better if your fishin buddy sees you in the automotive department instead of cosmetics---save sending your wife in for HH "hard as nails"

LOL!! on the Auto Dept.

320 works too.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:50 PM

fxp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Found a way to sort my beads, use a set of screens that I use when we go Gold Prospecting, each screen is a different size holes, so dump all the beead in and shake, the smaller beads go through to pan the bigger ones stay on top, then dump the pan of bead into next smaller screen and repeat down to smallest.
Wyatt
you can also sort different sizes by putting all the beads in a tube ,eg.a test tube, and gently shaking them up and down. the smaller beads will sort themselves out on the bottom and the larger ones will be on top.
(although this seems counterintuitive it's based on scientific principles of fluid mechanics. it's more commonly known as the brazil nut effect.)

frank x
Old 10-03-2008, 01:05 PM

fxp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Thats a good tip fyshstykr. I've been using the "V" notch for a few years & it works great. I posted these before , but here they are again
Here's 2 more bobbin tips... If you get a burr in the bobbin tube & it starts to cut thread ( very frustrating) thread a peice of Kevlar Thread thru the tube, Grab both ends of the kevlar thread & spin the bobbin around the thread. It will polish the tube I.D..... For Threading the bobbin try those mono loops for pulling dental floss. You can get a lifetime supply for a few bucks in any drugstore. .. If you use Hard as Nails ...Take the little brush in the cap & either replace it with a needle for small (24's & up)flys or just cut the brush to a point to apply it as head cement. For small flies put about 1" of head cement on the thread before you wrap the head & when you wrap it it's glued together...
if the bobbin tip is not ceramic you can fix the problem without deburring by using a glass seed bead to convert it to a "ceramic equivalent". a 2.5 mm bead (bead size 8/0) is superglued around the edge. you can use a bodkin to center it and hold it in place while you carefully apply the glue and let it set. $2 buys about 1000 beads. both ends of the tube can be treated this way.

frank x
Old 10-06-2008, 01:34 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

One way off making hackle from CDC.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:10 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

One thing I would like to add is this; hair. I find it much easier to use a type of hair that is easy to get and easy to tie. For the most part I use hair from my cat. Yes I did say cat hair. Her color comes out very close to that of a grub, larva, or nymph of a lot of larva. That off cream color. It kinda sound a bity off but I get a ton of fur this way. It works great for dubing. Second I recycle left over stuffs. Often I tie with marabou. I take bits that are left over from tieing and pile it up. Makes some intresting color patterns and streamers out of it. Lastly dont over look the possible things that you can find at places like WalMart or any kind of craft store. Not much can be found but then again what you might find could be the thing your looking for. I've found stuffs there that make some great looking adult bugs like moths and beatles.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:56 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Question Tip of the week

I belong to another forum where they do a fly tying tip of the week and thought it would be a good idea here too. The way it works is we submt tips or short cuts or whatever makes your tying more enjoyable or easier to 1 of the mods and they pick the best tip for the week and post it. Over the past few years i have gotten some great advice from the members here and i feel we can make each others tying more enjoyable by showing each other our short cuts and little tricks that make it more fun. Does anyone else think this would be a good idea for an ongoing thread?? Or have a good way to do it??
Jim