The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 09:57 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: Tip of the week

I think that's a great idea! I'll even start you off with one ...
Take a 35mm film canister ( you know, the gray ones with the black tops, or sometimes they're an opaque white). Stuff it full of #0000 steel wool, put the top on it, poke a hole through the top with your bodkin, and run it (stab it) through the steel wool. Cleans any goop off the bodkin, sharpens it at the same time, and makes a great storage container for it set on the tying table.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 AM

dman will become famous soon enough

Do we have to wait a week for another?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:29 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Well, no ... even you could post one!!!

Anther one that pops to mind, as easy and often used.
Take a popsicle stick and glue on a short patch of the velcro LOOP-y stuff to one end. Use it to fluff out dubbed hair to give a buggy look to the fly!

YOUR TURN!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:32 AM

And hurry up with it!! I've got another DANDY one, just waiting in the wings!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:42 PM

OK Auntie...

First here's a little addition to yours...cut a circle hole in the top about the size odf a nickel and you can store more than just one bodkin...needles...etc...
Also put a velcro dot on the bottom and stabilize it on your desk.

Here's one I haven't seen much...

Dollar Store ...and pick out a hairbrush with plastic round tipped bristles...clip off and use as eyes with a peg....or you can heat the cut end for a double eye.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great ideas Jim, Auntie and Dman,

We're working something out to get this set up so they'll all be in one place. In the meantime, keep 'em coming here until we figure out the mechanics.

Great stuff.

Mark
Old 02-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is, when tying smaller flies where less is more, I run ZAP-A-GAP (waterproof super glue) down the thread hanging at the eye about one inch, then wrap once and whip once. It seals the thread with few wraps. A must on #30's and #32's ;-)
Old 02-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Here's a continuation on a theme, sooner or later you will spill your bottle of head cement. In the old days we glued them to the lid from a small margarine container of the like. I'm sure you could also use the Velcro remedy to keep it from being knocked over but be careful when pulling it loose.

I could share many tying tips here but will need the time to photograph the various steps so that I may post them, stay tuned.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:53 PM

Your mention of photos reminded me...I have some...so here goes...and looking forward to everyone's...I love tips...

This is a tie rack from a thrift store...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:54 PM

jonl is on a distinguished road

As a newby to tying this thread is great.
Thanks for all the great tips now and in the future