The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 06:35 PM

dman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flytying tips and techniques.......

And that's got to be Betty...I feel so good...and I thought I'd just slip in guess I did sort of get carried away with this tip stuff
Old 02-15-2009, 06:50 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

# 2
I get small alligator clips & mount them on 1/8" bamboo skewers cut to any length I want ...I use a board with 3/16" holes in it to hold them while the head dries or if I'm making streamer bodies I put them in it to let the overcoat dry & then build up the rest of the flies. You can also cut a slit in the point of the skewers & mount tiny flies in it for potographing them. I also use the skewers for, burnishing floss after I wrap a streamer body before spiraling tinsel, I use them for painting eyes on streamers, large end for eye, & point for pupil, I apply Head cement & epoxy with them, put velcro on them for a dubbing brush, mix epoxy & apply it with them. They come in handy for many things around the tying bench, I've just listed a few. I do have a few steel ones for shis ka bob's & fondu's but the bamboo ones are good for too many other things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wizard school.jpg (95.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to Auntie E's idea of the velcro on a Popsicle stick. I used a plastic spoon. Broke the spoon off and attached the Velcro. Slimmer profile.
BUT, how many times has the velcro been a little too much?
In most department stores, there is a make-up counter. They have displays to try out different make-up. Guys buck up and check it out, then find a woman to help you out.
These eye lash brushes are free. Don't be greedy, one will last a long time.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:41 PM

dman will become famous soon enough

I think I like that one, Joni...gonna give it a try...and I have no pride I'll belly up to that cosmetic bar

And along the same line here's something I did...haven't used it much... but I took an old toothbrush...you can pick different textures of bristles...did I say I never throw a toothbrush away

Put velcro patch on back.... trimmed bristles to stiffen... and also added a dental floss puller as a bobbin threader...picture's rather poor....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hope this is not redundant but here goes, glue a small lid from a margarine container or any type of a nice base to the bottom of your head cement bottle. Sooner or later you'll tip one over on your desk...........#@!*%^
Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO Hardy you got your point....I am going to go do it right now! (in my Pee Wee Herman voice LOL)
Seriously, excellent idea.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:42 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Joni. A dentist friend gave me a bunch of these small brushes years ago. They are great for brushing out midges. I've never looked for them in stores but i guess they are still available.
Also on the toothbrush idea I cut one in 1/2 & put a needle in both ends
It doesn't roll around & is handy when you need it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GUM.jpg (69.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Toothbrush.jpg (48.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Hi Joni. A dentist friend gave me a bunch of these small brushes years ago. They are great for brushing out midges. I've never looked for them in stores but i guess they are still available.
Also on the toothbrush idea I cut one in 1/2 & put a needle in both ends
It doesn't roll around & is handy when you need it
I found those little dental brushes at ALL A DOLLAR. Four per pack
Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great tips everybody. I took a shot at organizing some of these and posted them in a sticky for all to see, and added a few.

But I see I have some catching up to do. Keep em coming. I'll add a bunch more tomorrow. And I'll have to figure out the pic thing at some point (ugh).

Nice job everyone. Some really great stuff here!

Mark
Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 AM

Here's one for tying the wings on wet fly's.. After you measure the length you want , place the 2 wings together on top of the body, have your thread hanging 1 eye diameter length behind the eye, rather than only using a double wrap of thread around the wing & pulling it upwards first push down on the spot on the wings that the thread wraps are with your thumbnail or the side of your bobkin to soften the wing fibers. then position them & hold them fairly tightly when you tighten the thread wraps by pulling up.....The wing fibers will crush straight down easier , rather than rolling to one side like they have a tendency to do. Wrap 1/2 dozen firm wraps & 1/2 hitch it. leave the thread hanging & when you cut the tag ends position the scissors along the top of the hook & cut at an angle being careful not to cut too deep & cutting the bound thread.... finish wrapping a tapered head, whip finish & coat the head.. I like to use thinned down Sally Hansen Hard as Nails for the first penetrating coat & then a coat or 2 of the Sally Hansens Hard as Wraps (in the blue bottle) for the gloss coat.