The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:14 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: Flytying tips and techniques.......

Here's one so you don't have to spend big bucks on waste receptacles.
Visit Michael's Crafts, or Joann's or Hobby Lobby (or any number of yarn/fabric stores) and pick up a wooden 4.5" embroidery hoop. Take off the outer hoop, set a zip lock baggie on the inner hoop, and return the outer hoop over the baggie (the baggie will be sandwiched between the hoops). Add a rubber band to the set screw and loop the other end over the center post of the vise. Perfect garbage bag!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Flytying tips and techniques.......

Hey Peregrines
I think your are doing an awesome job with Flytying Tips sticky thread this is going to turn into a great resource for anyone who ties flies. All of these tips are truely amazing. there are alot of very talented and inventive people here.
Jim
Old 02-23-2009, 10:58 AM

dman will become famous soon enough

Another way to clear the hook eye

I have been a hackle feather user but was given this tip by someone and I like it much better.

Use Super Dental Floss ... reusable and available at pharmacies

Buy Oral-B Super Floss, Dental Floss, Original Online at drugstore.com
Old 02-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I have used Bronze bore brushes for ever to pick out dubbing. You can even add a handle, the end is threaded. I also included a picture of the urine cup that I use for what ever. I mentioned them in an earlier post.

Frank

22 Cal Bore Brush Bronze
Click the image to open in full size.

Nylon Bore Brush

Urine Specimen Cup
Old 02-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Frank, the Urine cup is funny. While I was in Idaho Tying a couple of months ago, Dorion came in and walked up to me with one of those fly containers. He handed it to me for Samples, but that was the first thought I had ....we all had a good laugh on that one!
To add to the humor, he also brought me a Rock Star Latte!!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:42 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

To Keep it going My Tip for this week
I get one those wooden, spring loaded clothespins & put a length of that foam insulating tape( The stuff is about 3/8 " thick) that you seal windows with on each or just one side of the clothspin. The foam will hold the fly fairly securely & I keep one on my vise stem to keep flies from the vise while they dry. I'll make up a bunch of wet fly or streamer bodies & put them on the clothspin & clip it to my light, so the heat from the lamp will dry it faster I've put one on my vest to hold that dropper fly I just took out of the flybox while I tie on the point fly.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great tip Fishn50, thanks.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. I added these and a bunch more to the sticky in this forum.

keep 'em coming.

Mark
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
golfers have lots of pencils...and yes they have erasers.
For good reason . . . to retroactively change their scores!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:45 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Here is a nice video for a handmade tool for CDC.
Cdc klemme ny. on Vimeo
Trygve