The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 11:17 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flytying tips and techniques.......

Instead of gluing your cement bottle to a jar lid, try this:
Click the image to open in full size.
I like the blocks of packing material foam for tool holders, too: I don't have to find the right size hole or spot, I can just stick it in anywhere. The foam is generally free at your local dumpster.
My epoxy dryer was made from an old electric alarm clock. I ditched the outer case and the gears, kept the inner frame and JBed a piece of aluminum tubing to the gear right at the motor, then glued the foam disc to the other end of the tube.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob1 View Post
Here is a nice video for a handmade tool for CDC.
Cdc klemme ny. on Vimeo
Trygve
Trygve: Very cool idea! Thanks.

Larry
Old 07-17-2009, 10:39 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Here's one I haven't seen anywhere else: When I have materials on the fly that get in the way of the next stage, like rubber legs, I use a short piece of plastic drinking straw, cut up the side to hold the legs, wings, whatever back out of the way.
When the straw is cut up the side, it curls in on itself. You can pull the materials back toward the vice, open the straw with the fingers of one hand and slide it over the fly, away from the hook eye, and the straw will curl around the fly and hold the materials out of the way.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I think I like that one, Joni...gonna give it a try...and I have no pride I'll belly up to that cosmetic bar

And along the same line here's something I did...haven't used it much... but I took an old toothbrush...you can pick different textures of bristles...did I say I never throw a toothbrush away

Put velcro patch on back.... trimmed bristles to stiffen... and also added a dental floss puller as a bobbin threader...picture's rather poor....

I ground down the sides of an old tooth brush on my bench grinder leaving only one row of bristles. This is the brush I use to comb the under fur out of deer and elk hair before I stack it.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:25 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

i had the same thing happen to my hooks so i got some sticky backed magnets and put them in the bottom of the hook box...now they are secure but not so secure that i cant pull my little size 20's off of it
Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

On a bucktail, you can generally see the color differentiation on the hide side between the white/lighter section and the shorter darker stuff in the middle with the middle. Use a razor/exacto knife to cut about halfway through the hide and then fold it back and forth to break off the lighter portion. This will give you just the lighter hair and keep you from having to separate it from the dark stuff over and over.

I generally do this after I've used up the broken off top 1/3 that's make it easiest to work with. Both tricks also lets you keep 8+ colors of bucktail in a easy access spot and keep the rest in backstock storage.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:08 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

For a waste receptacle I use a plastic dish that comes out of Nonni's biscotti...it is great to put tools in, or beads, or eyes...or can be used as a storage container...I am collecting them. I use a toothbrush to brush out synthetics like Steve Farrar Flash Blend, or EP Fibers. Go to Wal-Mart and get a duster made out of ostrich feathers. I use them for tying, and it is CHEAP.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:21 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Very nice article about dubbing
http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=4046

Trygve
Old 09-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice indeedthanks Trygve.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Trash collection on a budget. Cut the bottom off a cereal box and tape it to your table edge.