The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 PM

irons is on a distinguished road
Default whiting hackle prices

A few years back i saw where it was really hard to get hold of whiting capes, are they easier to find now?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: whiting hackle prices

Yes, but still depends on exactly what you need & how much you're willing to spend. Some things the prices on are much higher now than they were before that hair craze started.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Depending on what you need them for it's cheaper to buy packs or one of the combos. Unlikely a casual tier will go through a whole cape/saddle
Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by irons View Post
A few years back i saw where it was really hard to get hold of whiting capes, are they easier to find now?
Capes are not scarce, saddles are scarce.

Whiting Dry Fly Hackle Silver Grade Capes

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-16-2014, 03:32 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

check out Collins Hackle. They're great quality and definitely worth a look.

For $30 plus shipping, you get a grade 3 cape AND saddle (though not many usable hackles on the saddle.
Grade 1 will run you about $60 for both together. There is no online ordering, you have to call and send a check for payment, though there are some stockists on the east coast.
Collins Hackle Farm

Dont get me wrong, Whiting is great, as is Metz, i use hackles from both as well as collins. Just dont rule out all the options before you splash on a cape or saddle

This little fellow was tied using hackle from a grade 3 brown cape.

Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-16-2014, 04:41 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
check out Collins Hackle. They're great quality and definitely worth a look.
They even have Cree, I might have to give them a shot, thanks.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I just ordered a bunch of hackles from feather emporium. The quality was good but the size of the 1/2 capes and 1/2 saddles I ordered "seem" smaller in size compared to the ones in the shops

None the less I got them fairly quickly

Ordered Black, Cree, /2 capes and 1/2 saddle of midge size in grizzly. I tied 11 size 18 parachute adams from 1 saddle feather. At that rate they will bury me with these things
williamhj and craigthor like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I just ordered a bunch of hackles from feather emporium. The quality was good but the size of the 1/2 capes and 1/2 saddles I ordered "seem" smaller in size compared to the ones in the shops

None the less I got them fairly quickly

Ordered Black, Cree, /2 capes and 1/2 saddle of midge size in grizzly. I tied 11 size 18 parachute adams from 1 saddle feather. At that rate they will bury me with these things
remember me in your will
comeonavs and mridenour like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:36 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I just purchased some Whiting Pro Grade dun saddles @ about $30 each. That was expensive compared to the $15 Hareline saddles I used to get before the hair craze. I don't tie dry flies so am not overly concerned about the quality. I needed some "gray" hackle for tying buggers & flatwing streamers, and the Pro grade seems to be the best option. Still, that's a big price difference.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-17-2014, 10:26 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I just ordered a bunch of hackles from feather emporium.
Ordered Cree,
Here's my Cree.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy