The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree20Likes
  • 13 Post By flytire
  • 1 Post By mridenour
  • 3 Post By fredaevans
  • 3 Post By jimp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 12:56 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default dont spill that head cement

i found this idea online made from a milk jug or equivalent

Click the image to open in full size.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 04-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dont spill that head cement

Pretty cool idea, thanks!

Larry

Old 04-18-2014, 01:33 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Well, there is a distinct possibility that this could keep me from getting it on the kitchen table when I decide to tie upstairs among the living. Now, to just decide if that is really what I want to do!
jimp likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:10 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

That's a great idea and thanks for sharing it. I'm going to try it out. I especially like the bodkin. Where can I get one ?

Richard.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:42 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Did the spill bit once and that stuff will take the paint off a doorknob. Refinishing the table top was a 'demand job' from the wife type.

Ever refer to your own wife as "Yes Mam?''
Hardyreels, mridenour and pm287 like this.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:31 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Did the spill bit once and that stuff will take the paint off a doorknob. Refinishing the table top was a 'demand job' from the wife type.

Ever refer to your own wife as "Yes Mam?''
Only when it is in MY best interest. LOL
fredaevans, mridenour and pm287 like this.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Gets more interesting if you're married to a 'Redhead.' They write their own rules and they can change on a daily basis.

Just trust me on that one.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:45 PM

_rj_ is on a distinguished road

Good idea. I just spilled mine yesterday.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I like it, I too upset a bottle once. Mine was the old lacquer cement from Hillie's sometime around 79', I glued the new bottle to the lid from something like cottage cheese or the like so I couldn't upset it again.

The good news for all you spillers is that it will only have to happen once. After you make a mess like that you will never leave the lid off or loose on a bottle of head cement again. I don't use any safety precautions other than carefully removing & replacing the lid and have never spilled a second time

But that is a cool idea for those who wish to avoid your first,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-30-2014, 04:21 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

My tool and cement holder is 2"x6"x3" block of packing foam. I cut holes slightly smaller than the measurement off the bottle and add a couple of rubber bands around the round bottles to hold them when turning the lids off and on. Most of my tools just stab in wherever's handy. I get a year or more before they need replacing.
These are some of the reasons I like water-based head cement. Easy clean up(though I haven't had a spill since I started using the foam) and easy to thin if I leave a lid off.

Click the image to open in full size.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Last edited by JoJer; 04-30-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Add photo