The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jburke1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 01:23 PM

jburke1 is on a distinguished road
Default First bass popper

As summer approaches I'm wanting to get more into smallmouth fishing at my local river. Once caught a 5lb smallmouth out of there but it was on a spinning rod. Now I'm looking for a bit more of a challenge so im gonna try to go after them on the fly this summer. This is my first attempt at a popper so don't tear me apart to bad. Still trying to get a hang of the 5min epoxy and it being pretty thick. If you have any tips please let me know!Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
argail, tpo and calftail like this.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:02 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: First bass popper

Looks great! That will catch some fish!

If you stay with using epoxy, try the longer set time epoxies, like 30 minute or longer, but coat several poppers at one time. The longer set time stuff doesn't thicken as quickly which gives a bit more time to work with it. I like the 60 or 90 minute Devcon, and usually will coat as many as 50 heads at a time.

It's only cost effective to use it when coating a batch of poppers, and for that you also need some type of mechanism for turning them. I've never found that mixing tiny batches of epoxy gave me consistent results.

Also, you can thin epoxy a bit with alcohol. ( I like ethyl, the kind sold as camp stove fuel). It will weaken it some, but for coatings it's not a big issue. You'll only need a couple of drops. However, I find it's best to thin it right away when mixing, instead of afterwards when it starts to thicken.

Hope this helps!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-20-2014, 02:07 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Looks good to me!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 04-20-2014, 02:27 PM

I was looking at the 30min epoxy but can't really drop $50 on a dryer thing. Might DIY it though. Has anyone ever thinned it using acetone?

Old 04-20-2014, 02:33 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Acetone will also thin epoxy, but alcohol is cheaper & less hazardous. Rubbing alcohol can also be used, which is very inexpensive.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-20-2014, 02:34 PM

I just have some acetone already. I'm willing to risk it haha

Old 04-21-2014, 04:12 AM

DixieDawg is on a distinguished road

Nice job I'll give you a warning though tying poppers and chasing bass on your fly rig tends to become an addiction it has for me anyway nice tie and good luck with it should catch several for you

-Dusty-
Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 AM

Thanks man! Now I just need to find sometime to get out there!