The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 06:24 PM

snakemau is on a distinguished road
Default Gooseneck lamp?

So I saw this gooseneck lamp from Hook and Hackle, anyone has any input/experience with it? I need a tying lamp with good light but small and portable and not too expensive, any suggestions?

Fly Tying LED with Gooseneck Vise Attachment-Hook & Hackle

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:32 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gooseneck lamp?

Mau,

The H&H offering looks like a nice light. I'm assuming that it's strictly battery-operated, or does it have an option for an adapter for the ol' plug in the wall connection? I still tie with my aging Giraffe goose-neck light and separate magnifier system. I was lucky enough to test out one of the early proto-types, fell in love with it, and it's been here since then. Not a lightweight lamp, by any means, but extremely reliable...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 04-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

From the size to the price I can't say anything negative about that attachment. It seems to be exactly what you stated you want.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I just use a regular desktop lamp that you can twist the light around. Inexpensive and works great
fredaevans likes this.

- Tyler

Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Even has built in tool caddy. 13.00.

Mainstays Gooseneck Organizer Desk Lamp ....@ Walmart. The url to the lamp wouldn't work for some reason.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:44 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

You used to be able to find cheap extension lamps like the one above everywhere. Now, it's time to replace the a couple of mine, and I don't see them anymore.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 04-21-2014, 06:18 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i would not use the h&h lamp as it looks like it only provides a small focused area of lighting. i need as much lighted area as possible. led is also too blue for my eyes

i use 2 full spectrum desk lamps from home depot ($25 each)

dhayden likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 PM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough

I use an ott light they are a little pricey but they have a nice light
Old 04-24-2014, 04:27 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemau View Post
So I saw this gooseneck lamp from Hook and Hackle, anyone has any input/experience with it? I need a tying lamp with good light but small and portable and not too expensive, any suggestions?

Fly Tying LED with Gooseneck Vise Attachment-Hook & Hackle

Thanks!
If you're looking for portable and inexepensive checkout Barnes and Noble for book lights. They're around $10-$30 and last a long time. You could even pick up two so you have all-around lighting.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 PM

snakemau is on a distinguished road

Well got an OttLite, nice and compact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk