The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 12:28 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light
Default First dry fly

I didn't want to clog up the daily fly thread on my horrible drys so I'll post them here I really do appreciate all the help. The good news is is that I'm now comfortable handling the materials and whatnot, I have to get the proportions to be better but I see definite progress. Here's my latest one

Click the image to open in full size.

Tails too long on that one but I think everything else is good?

This one I like, I think tail is good size, hackles not over crowded and wings are good. What do you guys think? Also, I'm confused on the body, which color is right? The first or second picture? I've bee netting. Different reports on which body color.

Ryan
fly_guy12955 likes this.

Last edited by repperson29; 04-26-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:51 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First dry fly

If you shorten your wings just a tad,,,closer to hackle length,,, you got it. Try hair wing Adams till you get it down pat is how i did it. Synthetic or calf tail either,,,,it more forgiving than feather wings to a degree. White wings work just as good. I've even marked them dark with a perm marker,,but quit that as white works just as good for me,,,at least the fish don't seem to mind.

Check out tying Adams Wullfs or Adams Trudes too,,,to me they are easier fly to tie.

I really find tying an Adams parachute a tad easier than the classic dry fly Adams,,,esp if I'm tying small ones. But you are getting the classic look ,,,just about there pard. what you have will catch fish fine.

Mike
hairwing530 and repperson29 like this.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:58 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

What kind of hackle are you using?

Where on the cape/neck are you taking the feather from?

The width of the wing should be approximately the gape of the hook and the length as I showed you in a previous photo

Fly proportions are based on the hook

casting these flies you are tying may be difficult because of the size of the wing resulting in a helicopter effect
repperson29 likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 04-26-2014, 02:15 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Use this for the wings, try to pick out the nicest looking feathers from the front.

Use this for part of the hackle and tail, pick near the neck for the hackle and he rear for the tail

Also use this for hackle and tail

I could very well be using the wrong material, jerry (hairwing530) sent me a fly tying kit so I've tried to identify what is what but could be wrong.

Thanks for taking the time out and helping me.

Ryan
Old 04-26-2014, 02:37 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I ordered from feather emporium a variety of colors of whiting tailing packs and Coq De Leon tailing packs

They both seem easy to use for tails , compared to getting fibers off a small hackle feather. I got to be honest I tie all my Adams as parachutes. I find them easier than the traditional, and have not had a lack of trout here in Colorado on the parachute style tie.

I use Tiemco Aero Dry for the post. Since I am water blind I bought Pink, Orange and Yellow to experiment and see what I can see best.
repperson29 likes this.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:00 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Hey Ryan,

You're definitely making progress. Here's a few tips that might help you out with the dubbing and such...

Dubbing: Apply only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the dubbing that you think you'll need to the thread at any one time. It's easier to add than to subtract...

Tailing: Use the tailing materials that I sent, or the Whiting clumps, as tailing. If you don't happen to have any brown, let me know...

Wings: Since I only tie the really small stuff-- 22-26 --on special occasions, I take some of my wings from the top 10 or 15 percent of the neck. The feathers are very small and lend themselves to fine wings, which is what I believe you're looking for. Barring that, I use the end points of any hackle that I've wrapped and have cut. It helps me utilize the feathers to their fullest measure.

Anything else? Please don't hesitate to drop me a note and I'll put together a few things to help you out...

Tight wraps and tempting flies, my friend... always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
repperson29 likes this.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:02 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Ryan,

Patience is certainly part of the fly tying learning experience, plus a dogged determination to always get better and try. I'll bet I spent ten years wrapping thread before I could come close to tying what I thought was an acceptable fly. We all get to be good tyers eventually if we stay at it long enough, some way faster than others!
Stay at the basics. Proportions are key to a fly that has eye appeal. You will be surprised to find that lengths, widths, heights etc. all translate from one fly to all flies and generally they are determined by parts of the hook.
Let me add too that you can't buy good fly tying, forget the fancy tools,gadgets and glues and stuff. A well seasoned tyer can manage even with junk for material and turn out a presentable fly.

You'll get there if you keep at it.

carry on
hairwing530 and repperson29 like this.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
Hey Ryan,

You're definitely making progress. Here's a few tips that might help you out with the dubbing and such...

Dubbing: Apply only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the dubbing that you think you'll need to the thread at any one time. It's easier to add than to subtract...

Tailing: Use the tailing materials that I sent, or the Whiting clumps, as tailing. If you don't happen to have any brown, let me know...

Wings: Since I only tie the really small stuff-- 22-26 --on special occasions, I take some of my wings from the top 10 or 15 percent of the neck. The feathers are very small and lend themselves to fine wings, which is what I believe you're looking for. Barring that, I use the end points of any hackle that I've wrapped and have cut. It helps me utilize the feathers to their fullest measure.

Anything else? Please don't hesitate to drop me a note and I'll put together a few things to help you out...

Tight wraps and tempting flies, my friend... always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Ahh, I must have missed the tailing material, or don't know what it looks like!

No need to send me additional materials my friend,you have done more than enough to help me along the way by creating this set. It has already given me hours of enjoyment (and frustration) but I thank you all the same. I am nothing if not persistent so I shall tie the Adams fly over and over until I get it right

Ryan
Old 04-27-2014, 12:56 PM

Well, went out fishing today with the intent of fishing these Adams I just tied. Ended up catching two browns on them first time I had fish on my own tied flies. Quite a feeling to know I outsmarted a thing with a bigger brain than I.

Ryan
hairwing530 and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:21 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Ryan,

I keep a small box with flies that I "attempted" to tie more than four decades ago, along with the first flies of my daughters when they got into tying. And, right next to that box is another with some of the flies I tie today, along with flies that were tied after my daughters had spent a fair amount of time at the bench. The progression/experimentation differences nearly floor me whenever I open the two boxes.

As calftail pointed out, it all takes time... time and plenty of practice. Some of the flies you'll tie in the months/years to come will drive you to the point of distraction, while others will become some of your "tribute flies" to your tenacity in staying with it and learning. It all takes time, my friend...

And, always remember this... Even when you tie a fly that you believe to be the ugliest fly in the box, I'm willing to bet that it still will catch fish!! Most trout aren't what some might call "fly critics..."

Tight lines, Ryan...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
repperson29 likes this.