The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light
Default First dry fly

Just a simple Adams, I've only been tying alittle bit but I mainly fish dries so I should probably learn to tie them as well. I don't think it's horrible, the abdomen needs to be alittle skinnier I know but I'm looking for criticism. If anyone can throw some pointers out there I'd appreciate it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Ryan
Old 04-23-2014, 03:53 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First dry fly

The tail is a little short, would recommend 1 1/2 times hook gap and appears the tail tips were clipped, think they look more natural if not clipped so you get the fine tapered points. You have done a good job for just beginning and I agree with your thoughts on the abdomen. I rarely have the time to practice but when possible I always find the improvements come much faster if I tie the same fly repeatedly. Your finger agility improves and the refinements just seem to come together.

Dave
Old 04-23-2014, 04:42 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

I plan on sitting down and tying a dozen tomorrow, man is it a pain in the ass to hold those tiny barbs for the tail, what a pain.

Thanks for the critique

Ryan
Old 04-23-2014, 04:50 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

After tying a dozen you won't find it as difficult...Guarantee.

When adding dubbing to a waxed thread use less dubbing, it will give you better control.

Dave
Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Ard helped me with this about the tail. When you wind your thread back to stopping point,,wind some over itself and make a tiny ball,,knot,,,hump...with your thread at the very back end. That will splay out your tail into a fan'esk type deal what will help stabalize your flly. On 14's and 16's,,you can even run a thing ring of grey (for Adams) dubbing for a hump at the rear. Then, get your fibers even on the tips,,,measure your length,,,lay them dead center the top of the 'knot' and push down on each side with your thumb,,that should put some fibers on both sides of the knot. Pinch wrap a couple turns, pull snug,,,then pinch wrap a few more moving forward slowly.
That should do it. Sounds complicated but after a few,,it's very natural and easy.

Mike
jaybo41 and repperson29 like this.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:08 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

It's OK for your First Dry as mentioned after you Tie A Dozen or so you will have it sorted out The Adam's will catch Fish for you as it's a terrific Fly.
Brian
repperson29 likes this.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:08 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Ryan, not bad for first dry. Here's a chart that might help

Fly Prortportion
repperson29 likes this.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:11 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

assuming this is an adams

tail too short + they were cut. should be grizzly and brown

hackle too big + not enough wraps. should also be grizzly and brown

wings in the wrong place + too big

dubbing too much

tutorial

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 04-23-2014, 06:32 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys, especially fly tire. I'll be back at it tomorrow

Ryan
Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

other video

https://www.intheriffle.com/fishing-...y-tying/adams/
repperson29 likes this.