The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Dave's Hopper

The ole fashion way........

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:34 PM

lv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to all
Default Re: Dave's Hopper

Very nice, that'll get their attention! What hook is that?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

great detail in that hopper

Old 04-24-2014, 08:58 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2nymph View Post
Very nice, that'll get their attention! What hook is that?
It's an Eagle Claw Aberdeen 202/1/0. The hooks are kinda bouncy to tie on when you get to eye....but they work good enough for me at the cost. I'd tie on stouter hooks if I expected 10 pounders. I fish them on a 2x tippet and have yet to have a problem.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

You'll prolly notice the fly doesn't have leg's or "kickers", Dave started tying them with legs in the late '70's as I recall.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Nice job. Is it fishable or a wall hanger?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:07 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
You'll prolly notice the fly doesn't have leg's or "kickers", Dave started tying them with legs in the late '70's as I recall.
Nicely tied fly. IIRC, the legs were suggested or added by Jay Buchner [sp?]. I recall them being offered as Jay-Dave's Hoppers by some shops. The kickers are great, but your tie is a classic.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
Nice job. Is it fishable or a wall hanger?

Kayo...
I have a window ledge next to me and after I tie a fly like this it sits perched in a test clip until the next fly I have a hankering to tie up, then it's removed from the clip and gets entombed in a fly box as a memory. My real hopper fishing fly is Mike Lawson's Henry Fork Hopper.
ct

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by audax View Post
Nicely tied fly. IIRC, the legs were suggested or added by Jay Buchner [sp?]. I recall them being offered as Jay-Dave's Hoppers by some shops. The kickers are great, but your tie is a classic.
Haven't heard the name Jay Buchner in ages so I went a goggle-ing .......Jay Dave's Hopper - 23:59

thanks...ct
Old 04-25-2014, 10:28 AM

pm287 is on a distinguished road

Now that is a nice hopper. Could be in a magazine!!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 AM

Rescued Dave's Hoppers:

......" go ahead and have a look and see if there's anything in there you'd like". I pulled the white 5 gallon bucket over between my legs and peered in . It certainly looked like a garage sale bucket full of unwanted bargain priced stuff. "It's stuff that Jack Trueblood brought to us....he's selling off a bunch of things that are collecting dust in his garage that belonged to his father.....Do you know of Ted Trueblood?".

"Of course I know Ted Trueblood....He's a hero!"

I picked up an ole well worn Medalist with the agate line guide out of the bucket and grinned...." how much?"

"Well you can have it"

Voice from the back....." sorry but I already promised that reel to someone else".

I poked around and rummaged a battered plastic fly box from the bucket and popped the lid.....my eyes widened. "You don't know what you have here !" I recognized Dave Whitlocks work instantly. Several Hoppers and A couple of Crickets in pristine condition.

"How much are they worth?" I gagged and said "Oh maybe $300-500 a piece".

THEY WERE HEADED FOR THE DENVER DUMP !!!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:04 PM

Dave was a drinkin', smokin' and a tying on his Thompson A......

Early Whitlock art from a book published in 1969, Dave told me he doesn't remember it..........

lv2nymph likes this.