The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By flytire
  • 1 Post By lycokayaker
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589
  • 1 Post By silver creek
  • 2 Post By comeonavs
  • 3 Post By bigjim5589
  • 2 Post By lv2nymph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 02:05 PM

lycokayaker is on a distinguished road
Default Pink Squirrel Nymph - Help - Very new fly tyer

Hey Gang

I have stumbled across the pink squirrel and bought a few on a whim and found out the trout near me like them a lot. I want to tie them instead of buying them. I am really struggling to find all of the materials I need I am going off of this recipe

Video: How to Tie the Pink Squirrel Nymph | Orvis News

my question is what color squirrel dubbing? Please bear in mind I have never worked worked with dubbing so I am thinking this could be a train wreck of a first couple tries.

I am trying to emulate the fly in the picture Pink Squirrel-Beadhead however doesn't appear to be the same one orvis has. Any changes or recommendations to make the one in the picture would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Bill

Old 04-28-2014, 02:17 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pink Squirrel Nymph - Help - Very new fly tyer

2 strands of pearl krystal flash or equivalent

squirrel or hares ear dubbing for the body. hand blend some orange fibers with some hares ear or squirrel

pink dubbing for the thorax (squirrel or hares ear)

gold bead

scud hook

the recipe is on the orvis link

or

contact big y fly co for the exact materials used

http://www.bigyflyco.com/contactus.asp
mridenour likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 04-28-2014, 02:51 PM

I saw the exact formal fore it on the orvis site and the run down on all of the materials... What I found was that there are colors of squirrel dubbing and Im not exactly sure that what I was perplexed about....

Would a company like Big Y respond to an email asking what materials were used in a particular fly and give out that information?
mridenour likes this.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:06 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Lycokayaker, first with tying, it's not usually critical if a color is not exact. Try not to over think it. As flytire posted, hares ear or squirrel, both of which will be a tannish color, and add some orange fibers. The orange could be simply strands of wool or some of the common synthetic yarns found in most craft or sewing shops. Could also be orange squirrel or rabbit fur. The choices are endless & probably won't make any difference to the trout. Experiment with it & have fun with it & the trout will tell you if you got it right!
mridenour likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-28-2014, 03:23 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hares Ear or squirrel dubbing will work, I've tied plenty of them up this way but I prefer to get my dubbing from Driftless Angler. He's got some flash blended in with the dubbing and they just make a more attractive looking fly in my opinion. It is a slight variation from Bethke's original pattern I believe.

When I tie mine, I use UV dubbing as the collar but also tie some up using chenille. There are days when I think the UV helps and sometimes leery fish don't particularly care for it and the chenille seems to shine.

All Things Pink Squirrel

Mat is good people.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:47 PM

Ok, good to know I am over thinking/complicating it. I am trying to duplicate the fly from Big Y as its been a huge success for me. I was taught by an old school fly tyer who told me its important to keep things same and little changes can mess up a pattern..... Glad I can take a deep breath and chill out!

Bill

Old 04-28-2014, 04:47 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the original pink squirrel recipe by John Bethke:

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing: Bethke's Pink Squirrel Part 1 of 3

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing: Pink Squirrel Part 2 of 3: How To Tie

I don't use Pink Chenille. I use Senyo's Hot Pink Laser Dub by Hareline Dubbin. It is fluorescent so it converts UV to pink in deep water and is more visible.

Click the image to open in full size.
flytire likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Don't sweat keeping the exact recipe identical,

Google BH Hares Ear and then Google Guides Choice hares ear, very similar but some days one works better than the other.

Mix it up you might create something that works better
jaybo41 and lycokayaker like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Bill, don't get what's been said wrong, pattern recipes are often specific based on what the person who originated the pattern intended it to do, many times based on extensive use & successes. But, very often variations are as effective & sometimes better than the original. There are always new materials being made available too & some of them really improve older patterns when substituted for the older materials. Patterns such as a Hare's Ear for example, an old & highly productive pattern, were developed at a time when materials choices were far more limited compared to what is available today.

Simply put, there's more than one version of most patterns that will catch fish.

Yes, there are those folks who swear that pattern recipes are critical, but based on the posts already made here, and the many fly patterns in use today, that's usually not the case. I'm old school too, been tying a long time but am very open minded about tying, so have tried many variations of flies over the years. Most folks who tie will at some point start tying variations & experimenting. Some patterns do work better than others at times, but I've found the only guarantee with flies is that there are none.

All flies will catch fish sometimes, and none will work all the time.
jaybo41, comeonavs and lv2nymph like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:25 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

pattern recipes are often specific based on what the person who originated the pattern intended it to do, many times based on extensive use & successes. But, very often variations are as effective & sometimes better than the original.

I agree with this and have always tried to use the original materials when first tying a new pattern for that reason, before I start changing things around.
bigjim5589 and jaybo41 like this.