The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 07:13 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Will using a cone too large for the hook rotate the fly?

I used a large brass cone head on a size 8 3x long hook and the thing seems to turn over in the water.... Is the cone size the issue?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:42 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Will using a cone too large for the hook rotate the fly?

What do you mean by turn over, does it twist your leader?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:59 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Hmm. How well balanced is the material at the head of the fly (just behind the cone)? Is there too much material on one side that might be turning it?

I suspected that was happening on flies that I wrapped cross cut rabbit strips on. If I built up too much material on a side it would ruin the action on the fly…making it flip upside down.

Is that large cone head evenly centered on the shank? Is it turned down?

Can you post a photo of the fly?

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 04-28-2014, 09:40 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Hard to say exactly why you're having this problem, but an imbalance issue as shotgunfly has said may be the most likely reason. If you used that cone to get more weight, then try using a more appropriate sized cone & adding additional weight along the hook shank in the form of lead wire or non-lead wire as you would choose.

Cones & beads & such can fit a range of hook sizes & not cause problems, but if there's an extreme difference in the sizing & fit, it's certainly possible to create an imbalance.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
I used a large brass cone head on a size 8 3x long hook and the thing seems to turn over in the water.... Is the cone size the issue?
please explain your statement

seems to turn over in the water - how and which direction

is the cone size the issue - very possible. depending on how little body materials are there to sorta balance the the fly

a picture is worth a thousand words

here is a web page of charts to bookmark (use only as a guide - nothng carved in stone)

H&H Beads/Eyes/Dumbells

a cone or bead is symmetrical about the hook shank and shouldnt be able to invert the fly into a hook point up direction unless the cone is too big in size and just doesnt fit the hook it was intended for. small hole end is way to sloppy on the hook shank making the cone offset to one side.

to ensure the cone stays inline with the hook shank try this method. the number of lead wraps shown is not really needed but its entirely up to the tyers

Click the image to open in full size.

if the hole is too big the cone could rest SIMILAR to this one

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 04-29-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:29 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
please explain your statement

seems to turn over in the water - how and which direction

is the cone size the issue - very possible. depending on how little body materials are there to sorta balance the the fly

a picture is worth a thousand words

here is a web page of charts to bookmark (use only as a guide - nothng carved in stone)

H&H Beads/Eyes/Dumbells

a cone or bead is symmetrical about the hook shank and shouldnt be able to invert the fly into a hook point up direction unless the cone is too big in size and just doesnt fit the hook it was intended for. small hole end is way to sloppy on the hook shank making the cone offset to one side.

to ensure the cone stays inline with the hook shank try this method. the number of lead wraps shown is not really needed but its entirely up to the tyers

if the hole is too big the cone could rest SIMILAR to this one

The cone in the image above sits well on the shank but mine seems to be tilted downward at the eye... That might be making it top heavy.

My leader was pretty thick so I dont think it was the leader twisting.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Never really thought about it, but I assumed that flies tied on streamer hooks with beads or cones always turned over (hook point up). You've transferred the weight and center of gravity to the very front of the hook, and with a down-turned eye it should flip over, no?

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring