The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 09:07 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hendrickson's

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post

Curiously, the Noll dressing for the Light Hendrickson nymph (which it looks like you followed) is much lighter than the natural, which is dark reddish brown with dark, almost black, wing pads, and often has a lighter bronze or tan band across the abdomen.
Once it get's water-logged the thread color will bleed through and the body darkens up quite a bit.
jaybo41 likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-30-2014, 01:10 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

beautiful series!
jaybo41 and calftail like this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 05-01-2014, 11:09 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

From the link in post #6, Steenrod said......"Since the first Hendrickson, several patterns have been put on the market, called the light and dark Hendrickson, but none are tied true to color. The Hendrickson is tied with the tails from the crest of a golden pheasant; the wings - wood duck; body - fawn colored fur from the belly of a red fox; hackle - dun, almost transparent, or water color."

So I gave Steenrod's recipe a go. I used primrose thread, the gold pheasant crest for the tail, fox underfur (fawn?) and changed the hackle color to a lighter dun.......

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:24 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Beautiful tie... wow!
calftail likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-01-2014, 01:49 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Once it get's water-logged the thread color will bleed through and the body darkens up quite a bit.
+1 on this for most ALL flies, something few fail to recognize. Unless you tie a white or tinsel underbody, this will be the case. Even with white, when it gets wet, a bronze hook shank will darken a patter considerably.
jaybo41 and calftail like this.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:15 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
From the link in post #6, Steenrod said......"Since the first Hendrickson, several patterns have been put on the market, called the light and dark Hendrickson, but none are tied true to color. The Hendrickson is tied with the tails from the crest of a golden pheasant; the wings - wood duck; body - fawn colored fur from the belly of a red fox; hackle - dun, almost transparent, or water color."

So I gave Steenrod's recipe a go. I used primrose thread, the gold pheasant crest for the tail, fox underfur (fawn?) and changed the hackle color to a lighter dun.......

Pretty! Now you'll have to catch a natural and see what they really look like on your own stream. Here are some photos of one from the Beaverkill, where Hendrickson himself used to fish:

Female Ephemerella subvaria (Hendrickson) Mayfly Dun Pictures

The solid dark dun wings make me wonder why the original pattern used wood duck flank for the wings rather than grey wing-feather slips.

I'm guessing "fawn" was very light grey with a tannish tinge to it, based on the underside of the abdomen of this particular bug, but I don't really know.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Hendrickson's

Another really really well done fly. That's a beauty!
calftail likes this.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Here's my take on a female Hendrickson emerger. (Cross-posted from"What have you been tying today?" a couple of days ago.)

And here's what it's meant to imitate:
silvertip8k, jaybo41 and calftail like this.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:51 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Pretty! Now you'll have to catch a natural and see what they really look like on your own stream. Here are some photos of one from the Beaverkill, where Hendrickson himself used to fish:

Female Ephemerella subvaria (Hendrickson) Mayfly Dun Pictures

The solid dark dun wings make me wonder why the original pattern used wood duck flank for the wings rather than grey wing-feather slips.

I'm guessing "fawn" was very light grey with a tannish tinge to it, based on the underside of the abdomen of this particular bug, but I don't really know.
I'll tell you what if I were able to find a sample of Subvaria here around my neck of the woods in Denver it would be a scoop! About the best I could do is what we used to call enermis but now the entomologists are screwing with the ID's and it can get confusing when your not up on your bugs. We still refer to enermis as a Pale Morning Dun.

Anyways I have roots that go back to the Beaverkill, the Willowemoc, the Delaware and the Esopus from my teenage years and recall fly hatches that I have never experienced in the west. There are no hatches on front range Colorado that can come close to the massive numbers of bugs that I witnessed on those eastern streams...I wish they did. The bugs back east are also bigger, ie a big bug hereabouts is a 16-14, most are in the size 20 range. We do become good at tying smaller flies around here! Ah to be tying 10's and 8's to match mayflies!

I put a ? mark next to fawn because that's the only fox I had and if I had the full skin I would have plucked something with a more red-brown-cream color to try to match Steenrods recipe. I tied the fly in the interest of historical perspective and tried to be accurate, in real fishing, color is way down the list of importance to me. Out here they are tying purple flies .

BTW...thanks for your input on the thread. Your emerger looks well crafted, well tied!

ct
moucheur2003 and stenacron like this.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:29 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

that connective emerger, for lack of a better term is opening up a whole new can a beans...it is for sure the most vulnerable moment the may fly emerger soon to be dun will ever face...especially still slightly underwater in Mr Trouts domain...

it gives a whole new meaning to the term..."Scientific Angler" ...

well done...I hope it gives us all some food for thought...I must admit you are bolder than I since I have thought of similar for a while...but never stepped out to tie one up...

I know I spend a lot of time tying up variations of the may fly, especially hendriksons...probably way more than is necessary for fishing...but this under the surface world has always been a source of compete mystery for me...

thanks.. "spent spinner" lays on its side fishing...rather than tenting the wings and dropping the hook lower to keep erect...I am looking forward to trying it out next week

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/