The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hendrickson's

.....lol "a new can of beans".

There is nothing new about the stage "emerger" with regards to the fly fisherman. AJ McClane talks about emergers in his book "The Practical Fly Fisherman" and the book was published in 1953; and I'm sure it was old news then.

Sometimes you just have to dig a little deeper into the sports history and books. You will find that lots of "new ideas" have been worn out in the past and forgotten until somebody with a sharpened pencil brings it up again. I know that I have to dig before I make conclusions...the first recorded fly "the Hipporus" was prolly an emerger by today's definition.

carry on
Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I was inspired to try a Hendrickson myself. Not good as ya'll's but should catch a fish. Size 14. Now I see one spot were I didnt spin my dubbing tight enough,,,on well,,I ain't undoing this one,,it'll get wet and work.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
silvertip8k, calftail and lv2nymph like this.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:08 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
.....lol "a new can of beans".

There is nothing new about the stage "emerger" with regards to the fly fisherman. AJ McClane talks about emergers in his book "The Practical Fly Fisherman" and the book was published in 1953; and I'm sure it was old news then.
In the second (1952) edition of Ray Bergman's Trout, he gives a dressing for an "Emergent Dry Nymph (Brown)" that he attributes to Ernest Hille of Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It's what we would now call a no-hackle pattern, with just a dubbed body and some quill-slip wings.

Trout - Ray Bergman - Google Books

The parachute-style emerger I tied isn't really my own invention. It's based on some of the emerger patterns in Thomas Ames' Hatch Guide for New England Streams. It's also similar to many Klinkhamer patterns, except that it's tied on a swimming nymph hook.

Hatch Guide for New England Streams: Thomas Ames Jr., David B. Tibbetts: 0066066004246: Amazon.com: Books Hatch Guide for New England Streams: Thomas Ames Jr., David B. Tibbetts: 0066066004246: Amazon.com: Books
calftail likes this.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:11 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Beautiful tie... wow!
Agreed....