The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Hendrickson's

I don't know who A.E. Hendrickson was but he was a customer of Theodore Gordon..... Roy Steenrod was a friend and prodigy of Gordons who inherited Hendrickson's business. A classic fly that Steenrod came up with and was tied for A.E. is now known as "the Hendrickson" and is a fly for every bodies fly box... I picked apart my Noll's guide for these three flies , a nymph, wet, and dry fly and here are my interpretations......Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Ephemera subvaria......
Old 04-29-2014, 08:55 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hendrickson's

Those are beautifully tied, proportions are outstanding. I'm not sure you could have done any better. My only issue with them is that I have none in my boxes. I'll take a dozen of each please.

Thanks for taking time to photograph and share them here.
calftail likes this.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Those are beautifully tied, proportions are outstanding. I'm not sure you could have done any better. My only issue with them is that I have none in my boxes. I'll take a dozen of each please.

Hey... if we were fishin' a run shoulder to shoulder we'd be dippin' into each other's flybox figuring things out. What's it's all about !

Thanks for your compliments.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Pic colors are really dull... the flies look better in person. Bad camera day.

donno.
jaybo41 and lv2nymph like this.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:25 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you mention dipping into one another's boxes. My fishing partner/best bud and I are getting ready to head out on a 10 day fishing trip and were discussing flies and whatnot today. The same thing came up. We share flies on the stream and often end up passing flies back and forth to one another when we figure out what's working.

Several years back on one of my favorite local streams, I got to talking with an older gentleman. We chatted about what was working for us and I handed him a few flies that had been productive for me. He countered and offloaded some really beautifully tied flies. I had never seen a size 32 Copper John until then. You have to look really hard, or you might miss it! It was beautifully detailed considering the size. God bless him, the stream I'm speaking of is a heckuva tough wade.

Yet another really cool aspect of fly fishing. Thanks for jogging some great memories.
calftail likes this.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 PM

Yes it's good that we bump into the ole timers and with a glint of experience ....they pass stuff on. It's happened to me on occasion and I took a few lessons from them that I use today.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:07 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Those are lovely ties. Well done!

Here's a little more history of the pattern and Steenrod's original dressing. According to this source, A. E. Hendrickson was also the first person to catch baby tarpon on a fly.

Fly Angler's OnLine "Hendrickson - week 147- Part 83

The Steenrod dry-fly pattern is for the female dun, by the way. The male dun is darker and is traditionally imitated by the Red Quill.

The coloring of the female dun also varies somewhat from river to river. Art Flick's dressing, which is often considered today to be the standard dressing, specified urine-burned vixen belly fur for the body, which has a pinkish cast.

Curiously, the Noll dressing for the Light Hendrickson nymph (which it looks like you followed) is much lighter than the natural, which is dark reddish brown with dark, almost black, wing pads, and often has a lighter bronze or tan band across the abdomen. The Noll Dark Hendrickson dressing is a closer imitation, as is also the good old Pheasant Tail.

Click the image to open in full size.
jaybo41, stenacron and calftail like this.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 AM

lv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Hey... if we were fishin' a run shoulder to shoulder we'd be dippin' into each other's flybox figuring things out. What's it's all about !

Thanks for your compliments.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Pic colors are really dull... the flies look better in person. Bad camera day.

donno.
Those are really good looking flies, nicely done. I love having a fishing partner to toss ideas around when things are tough on stream, makes it all the better when we get it right.
jaybo41 and calftail like this.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:24 AM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

I concur we must meet up for coffee and please bring your flybox I ill bring mine empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post

jaybo41 and calftail like this.
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hendricksons are the dominate hatch on my favorite local river and hatch at the very reasonable time of 1:30pm almost like clockwork everyday this time of year.
....now if it would only stop raining
calftail likes this.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:36 AM

Moucher 2003,

Nice link; and a dressing for the fly which I had never seen before. I'll have to give it a try sometime. The crest for the tail should really set it off.

"Since the first Hendrickson, several patterns have been put on the market, called the light and dark Hendrickson, but none are tied true to color. The Hendrickson is tied with the tails from the crest of a golden pheasant; the wings - wood duck; body - fawn colored fur from the belly of a red fox; hackle - dun, almost transparent, or water color."

ct

....and thanks gang for all the compliments.