Easy to tie BWO nymphs?

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
I am possibly making a trip to the North Platte this weekend, and from what I have heard, I should be sure to have some BWO nymphs/emergers in the box. Does anybody out there have some fairly easy patterns I could tie up? I am not a great tyer by any stretch of the imagination, but I would much rather catch some fish on a fly that I tied than on some that I bought. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

calftail

Reaction score
BWO, are you talking Baetis ?

Common size this time of the year is #20.

The easiest pattern to tie for that fly is the RS-2.:)

comeonavs

Reaction score
What section of the North Platte ? Northgate canyon end or Grey Reef end ?

RS2 is always a safe bet, I always have good luck with Barr Emerger BWO as well.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Another super easy one is Frank Sawyer's original Pheasant Tail nymph. Just some pheasant tail fibers and copper wire wrapped on a hook, couldn't be simpler.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Jd1YAMntw]Sawyer Pheasant Tail Nymph - tied by Hans Weilenmann - YouTube[/ame]

planettrout

Reaction score
thanks guys, sounds like I need to tie up a a few rs2s. I also came across this super simple pattern, it is much like an rs2, I think I will tie up a few of both, and hopefully I can catch a fish on them. how about colors? Grey, olive, and black?

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb6wbe5Z0eA

I tie them in Olive, Gray, Black and Brown for Baetis/BWO's. I also use a Silver, Mercury or Pearl glass bead for the head and usually, moose hair for the tails ...

PT/TB

attackone

Reaction score
thread body nymph tied with olive thread is about the easiest fly to tie and its quick and deadly, i catch a lot of fish on that fly

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Here are a couple I like when the baetis are popping:

KG's EPF Halfback BWO Emerger
Hook: DaiRiki 125 size 16-20
Thread: 70 Denier brown-olive
Shuck: Simi-Seal amber dubbing
Abdomen: Olive-gray goose biot
Thorax: BWO Super Fine dubbing
Wingcase: Electronics packing foam
Legs: BWO dyed CDC puff

KG's CDC Parasol BWO
Hook: DaiRiki 125 sizes 14-20
Thread: 70 Denier brown-olive
Tail: Amber dubbing tied in as shuck
Abdomen: Olive-gray goose biot
Thorax: BWO Super Fine dubbing
Wingcase: Med. Dun CDC puff
Wing: Medium dun CDC puff

Good Luck!

Kelly

guest64

Account on hold
Reaction score
A really, really simple, durable and fast tie for BWO nymphs is:

Hook: 3769 #18
Tail: Brown hen hackle fibers
Body: Black tying thread, thin abdomen and thicker thorax
Wingcase: Black or pearl flat braid.

Coat the whole thing with Sally Hansen's HAN. A guy in my area showed me this and as far as I know, it doesn't have a name. However, when I need some BWO nymphs in a hurry, these are what I tie and they seem to work as well or better than the more complicated alternatives.

romanl

Reaction score
if you going to the REEF ,, (i fished it last year)
RS2's work, all i have to add if you have 1-2XH use those hooks (there are some good size fish there, and i've gotten quite a few bent out standard hooks)
sz.18-20 use XH hooks.
also try Foamback RS2 (pretty simple use small piece of foam for wing instead of CDC, etc)
also make sure you have bunch of Crayfish patterns, some fat trout just smash them

Jimmie

Reaction score
Next BWO hatch I'm going to try Johnny Utah's BWO soft hackle. Super easy and quick tie.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnghXo4PEK4]Tying a bwo soft hackle with Johnny Utah - YouTube[/ame]

stenacron

Reaction score
Simplified BH pheasant tail (no legs, no wingcase, no thorax);
--#16 scud hook
--olive thread (UTC 70)
--small copper bead (tungsten)
--3-4 olive pheasant tail fibres
--thin gold wire (counter-wrapped)

~4 minutes/fly... done. Probably does a good job of looking enough like a scud, sow bug, cased caddis, midges, and other small mayfly nymphs as well. I tie these in different color tail fibres from #14 - #20 and they kill.

Easy, quick, effective. ;)

comeonavs

Reaction score
Those are awesome Stenacron....nice ties

Reminds me of the Skinny Nelson, a heavy deep diver with tungsten bead and skinny body. I love the 5 minute ties :biggrin: