The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 05:09 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Easy to tie BWO nymphs?

I am possibly making a trip to the North Platte this weekend, and from what I have heard, I should be sure to have some BWO nymphs/emergers in the box. Does anybody out there have some fairly easy patterns I could tie up? I am not a great tyer by any stretch of the imagination, but I would much rather catch some fish on a fly that I tied than on some that I bought. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:29 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Easy to tie BWO nymphs?

BWO, are you talking Baetis ?

Common size this time of the year is #20.

The easiest pattern to tie for that fly is the RS-2.
mcnerney and bocast like this.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:04 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

You beat me to it. Yep, RS2 is on the menu of the day.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:07 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

What section of the North Platte ? Northgate canyon end or Grey Reef end ?

RS2 is always a safe bet, I always have good luck with Barr Emerger BWO as well.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 05-05-2014, 07:22 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Everything RS2...

Tying the RS2 Fly | One Fly Fisherman

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

thanks guys, sounds like I need to tie up a a few rs2s. I also came across this super simple pattern, it is much like an rs2, I think I will tie up a few of both, and hopefully I can catch a fish on them. how about colors? Grey, olive, and black?

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb6wbe5Z0eA
Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Another super easy one is Frank Sawyer's original Pheasant Tail nymph. Just some pheasant tail fibers and copper wire wrapped on a hook, couldn't be simpler.

itchmesir and smilingduck like this.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_nymph_rig View Post
thanks guys, sounds like I need to tie up a a few rs2s. I also came across this super simple pattern, it is much like an rs2, I think I will tie up a few of both, and hopefully I can catch a fish on them. how about colors? Grey, olive, and black?

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb6wbe5Z0eA

I tie them in Olive, Gray, Black and Brown for Baetis/BWO's. I also use a Silver, Mercury or Pearl glass bead for the head and usually, moose hair for the tails ...

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB
okbow68 and jpbfly like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-15-2014, 10:06 AM

attackone is on a distinguished road

thread body nymph tied with olive thread is about the easiest fly to tie and its quick and deadly, i catch a lot of fish on that fly
Old 05-15-2014, 11:01 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple I like when the baetis are popping:

KG's EPF Halfback BWO Emerger
Hook: DaiRiki 125 size 16-20
Thread: 70 Denier brown-olive
Shuck: Simi-Seal amber dubbing
Abdomen: Olive-gray goose biot
Thorax: BWO Super Fine dubbing
Wingcase: Electronics packing foam
Legs: BWO dyed CDC puff

KG's CDC Parasol BWO
Hook: DaiRiki 125 sizes 14-20
Thread: 70 Denier brown-olive
Tail: Amber dubbing tied in as shuck
Abdomen: Olive-gray goose biot
Thorax: BWO Super Fine dubbing
Wingcase: Med. Dun CDC puff
Wing: Medium dun CDC puff

Good Luck!

Kelly
mcnerney, jpbfly, mysticm and 1 others like this.