The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By FlySlinger
  • 1 Post By dcbeattie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 PM

FlySlinger has a spectacular aura aboutFlySlinger has a spectacular aura about
Default FlYSlingers Musky Fly, Husky Musky

Hi guys I can't get my flys on here again how about some help again

Click the image to open in full size.

Help ,Help Help!!!!
peter hanman likes this.

Last edited by FlySlinger; 05-05-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:06 PM

dcbeattie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FlYSlingers Musky Fly, Husky Musky

This him?

ia_trouter likes this.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbeattie View Post
This him?

Hi fellows I am trying myself at another Way of fishing I am going to hunt musky...Husky muskies.. I am try to going to hunt with this Fly except I am going to Use a second type of method this is my prototype I am going to use....MUCH BIGGER beads, a much bigger Spinner and I am going to use a much heaver wire... I was shopping up to Cabela's the other day and bigger spinners and they had wire up to 240 Lbs. THEY HAD MUCH bigger bead's... I AM ABOUT TO MAKE THIS fLY tOUGH....I AM GOING TO PUT MY FIRST mUSKY IN THE BOAT First my first Musky.... I AM GOING Take Picture of These Musky and show them to you Fellows I mean it....

Talk to you later

FlySlinger
Old 05-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

Wow! That's an interesting pattern. I see a couple potential problems. Long trailing rabbit strip like that is notorious for fouling around the hook while casting. Maybe add a weed guard to prevent it? That could give you the freedom to throw it into some heavy cover too.

The other concern is that stiff wire stem with the beads and blades. Wont that bend with a hard pulling fish? If that wire gets bent out of shape, its really going to effect how the fly tracks.

Look forward to hearing how you do with it!!
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygrain View Post
Wow! That's an interesting pattern. I see a couple potential problems. Long trailing rabbit strip like that is notorious for fouling around the hook while casting. Maybe add a weed guard to prevent it? That could give you the freedom to throw it into some heavy cover too.

The other concern is that stiff wire stem with the beads and blades. Wont that bend with a hard pulling fish? If that wire gets bent out of shape, its really going to effect how the fly tracks.

Look forward to hearing how you do with it!!
I don't think that the rabbit skin will foul with proper Casting But you see I am going to Switch the wire to Cabela's 240Lb test wire Also there is a Company called (Janns Netcraft) that carries much heaver Wire than cabela's...... I think that will take care of that problem and I will add on bigger Spinner blades and I will Use bigger beads also....,.If the Rabitt Skin gives me a problem Fouling I will fix it with proper FlyTying.... I Think I am Capable of that...

Talk tyo you later

FlySlinger
Old 05-07-2014, 04:01 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Definitely an original pattern. I like the creativity that went into it.

My first thought would be that it might not have enough of a profile in the water, especially for a big fly. It's long, sure, but it won't help create the illusion of bulk that most musky flies do. However, if you're local muskies feed on snakes or leeches, or if you just want a general attractor pattern then this could be a winner. If their main forage is baitfish though, you might find this pattern to be a bit lacking in profile.

My second hesitation would come from the use of rabbit strip itself for two reasons. Long rabbit strips can be a bear to cast even on heavy rods. The second is that it has a tendency to foul a lot, both in the water and on poor casts. Perhaps the casting isn't something you struggle with, but fouling in the water is practically unavoidable.

But if the fly doesn't work as you initially intended, there is no reason why you can't go back and modify it later. I'm also looking forward to hearing how you do with it.