The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 01:40 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mixing colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Not sure what your question is ?

ct
Sorry what I meant was do you just buy spools of yarn vs bags of dubbing and make your own so to speak. Also is there patterns where you would actually form the body out of segments of yarn vs dubbed thread.

Probably to open ended of a question but I hadn't seen this before since I am semi new to tying.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:19 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Sorry what I meant was do you just buy spools of yarn vs bags of dubbing and make your own so to speak. Also is there patterns where you would actually form the body out of segments of yarn vs dubbed thread.

Probably to open ended of a question but I hadn't seen this before since I am semi new to tying.

I have used all kinds of materials to make fly bodies and really don't have a preference for store bought or DIY dubbings. Fly tyers have been using yarns for bodies before you and I were born and what's in style one week goes out of style the next and then comes back again...that's the way this fly fishing goes.

Yarns are a good material to tie big flies. They make really good underbodies, even if you dub over the yarn or use just the yarn itself. You can take a look at Dave's Hopper. The body was made from the skein of yarn I pictured above and wound on the hook as strands rather than dubbed onto the thread.
Mohair yarn is particularly buggy stuff and makes great stoneflies and a popular Angora yarn was a favorite for tiers tying the Wulff series.

The uses are endless.

If you want to make some up for yourself use a kitchen blender or a coffee grinder, coffee grinders are about 10 bucks, tease apart your yarn and snip pieces about 1/2" to an inch, toss it in the blender/ grinder and spin it for a few seconds...viola ! You can also mix natural furs and synthetics.

ct
Old 05-07-2014, 02:46 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

That is awesome, thanks for the info

I might have to dig in to this and see if it would be worth me exploring a little more. I am always looking to learn a thing or two.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:09 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Yarn wing from the skein...."Lil' Trout"

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

These pics are underwater in a bowl. The colors change more trout-like when wet.....

At least to the human eye,,,haha !

Anyways...........

fishingeek likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

Great topic!

I am a pretty frugal tier and can often be seen cruising the isles of craft stores. When I use to do a lot of saltwater fly fishing and fly tying I discovered the economical benefits of tying big streamers with macramé yarn. I used to get it from Carols Rugs as they had the largest color selection anywhere. You separate the individual braids and comb them out with a flea comb or similar. The result is a long flowing fiber like EP fibers that sheds water on one back cast making huge flies extremely castable.
The only problem was Carols Rugs only sold bulk amounts of the stuff. After a few orders I called them and talked about the benefits of macramé in flyfishing but we didn't need those huge amounts they were selling. I would make custom orders of specific amounts of certain colors. Eventually, they gave in and started catering to fly tiers.
I hadn't been to their site for a long time and was happy to see they still have the fly fishing section. Check it out!

Fly-fishing cord - Carol's Rugs, macrame cord
calftail likes this.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl