The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 05:10 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Mixing colors

Fly tyers are cheapskates aren't we. We wander the isles of sewing shops, hobby and craft stores, K-marts, Walmarts, Home Depots...all with our fly tying eyes peeled for the magic material to tie the fly that's going to be "the" fly.

I bought a skein of real funky yarn at Walmart for a buck 29 and really questioned whether I needed it or not , the colors were down right primary, but I needed something yellow for Dave's Hopper and it was the only yellow I could find that suited my eye.

Today I decided to play with the skein. I picked three primary colors, yellow, blue and red and as you can see the colors are far from anything you would consider insect earth tone. Olive was my goal....

Click the image to open in full size.

Olive didn't turn out to bad.....

Old 05-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mixing colors

That was pretty cool, thanks for sharing!
calftail likes this.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:38 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Alright, as El Cheap Skate you peaked my interest.

As a tier of midges,nymphs and some standard dries....please expand on what i am missing here. Does this replace dubbin or emerger / post type of applications ?

Someone posted a video of tying a RS2 with a yarn body

Now I am curios

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 05-06-2014, 07:03 PM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

I'm always drawn to those skeins of multi-colored yarn in the craft store. They make a great starting point for custom mixing dubbing for specific hatches and, IMO, a mix of colors is more lifelike than a similar uniform color. With a skein of multi-color yarn, a scissors and a coffee grinder, you can fill a 12 compartment dubbing box in no time and quite inexpensively.
mcnerney and calftail like this.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

So..here is a fly tied with the the dubbing. Western Green Drake...

jpbfly and mridenour like this.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:57 PM

lv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to all

the olive tone looks real good, fly is real nice. Do you use a bean grinder to mix?
Old 05-06-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2nymph View Post
the olive tone looks real good, fly is real nice. Do you use a bean grinder to mix?
At first I pulled the yarn loose with a comb and snipped away with my scissors, later figured I needed a better mix so I got my coffee grinder out and gave it a whirl.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I've been using Virtually The Same Type of Acrylic Wool & any other Synthetic material as Wools Dubbing for years all I usually do is unravel it sometimes I also Comb it out with a Very Fine Comb.
I also find any of The Flosses are also good a as they come in all Colours.
Brian
Old 05-07-2014, 05:11 AM

lv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to all

That's how I go about it as well.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Alright, as El Cheap Skate you peaked my interest.

As a tier of midges,nymphs and some standard dries....please expand on what i am missing here. Does this replace dubbin or emerger / post type of applications ?

Someone posted a video of tying a RS2 with a yarn body

Now I am curios
Not sure what your question is ?

ct