The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By calftail
  • 1 Post By calftail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Thunder Creek

I met Howard Tuttle in 1974 up at Keystone on a construction site. Howard sez ...."You tried any of those Thunder Creek Streamers yet"... no I said.

He tied some up and brought them to work and gave them to me after his weekend days off ...."here try these". I couldn't believe how well the flies were tied! Turns out the Tuttles were a bunch of good fly tyers here in Denver. Howard gave me some flies that were 5x's better than what you'd find in any local fly shop bin, and I'm talkin' the best shops in town. Sadly the Thunder Creek never really produced a fish for me back then...prolly 'cause I didn't know what I was doing.

I can still see the glint in Howards eyes and his smile when I lifted my eyes after I opened and looked at the packet of his flies he gave me.

Here's one for Howard........His were still 10x's better than what I'm showing you

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, fredaevans and lv2nymph like this.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunder Creek

Very cool story and great looking pattern, I don't think I have ever tried that one.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:44 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Larry,

The one I posted up has all the ingredients of "the Platte River Special". Should work on the "Mile" .

Sucker imitation. That's what they like in there (the trout) ?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:20 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I remember when I discovered K. Flusher's Thunder Creek flies, I tied up so many that I still have some. They are a good fly for any species that eats fish. Here I've caught Dollies and rainbows on them but I wouldn't be surprised to see a steelhead take one if I gave the fly a chance on them.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-12-2014, 05:06 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

I remember those little guys, one of the first streamer I tied. Nice job.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Larry,

The one I posted up has all the ingredients of "the Platte River Special". Should work on the "Mile" .

Sucker imitation. That's what they like in there (the trout) ?
Thanks! Going to be over there next week!