The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By calftail
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Wet fly hooks

Could a guy use plain shank eagle claw hooks for wet flies ? Or their long shank plain hooks for streamers ? They look to be very very close to what we buy from suppliers...but you'd get twice the hooks for about the same money. Is there a reason to avoid doing this ? Just curious.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:20 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Wet fly hooks

Sure -- you can tie on just about whatever you want. I tied a bunch on cheap eagle claw hooks when I started, and honestly it was worth it because I needed the practice.

That said, I'm totally unwilling to tolerate even an occasional non-sharp hook. I just won't spend the time checking 100% of the time, and I just require hooks to be tip-top right from the start. I dont' mind putting a quick edge on hooks I've snagged on stuff, but that's it -- no Mustad sharpening for me!

So it just kind of depends upon what kind of person you are .

IF you want cheap but good hooks, I would recommend Saber hooks -- I've tied over a thousand now (based upon my empty 100 packs now) and don't recall a single hook that wasn't sharp out of the package, and I've caught a LOT of fish on them. I like their barbless wet fly model for your purpose.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

The EC's are good by me, but I prefer them in sizes 14 and larger. I do like the look of the sproat bend on their 057's for wets. I use the EC aberdeens for various flies and they work well as a fishing hook, no problems that I can report. My personal choice for hooks smaller than 14 is the Mustad 94840 but please note that it's my personal choice OMMV.

I think a "sleeper" hook is the South Bend Aberdeen available at the discount sporting goods departments. 6 bucks a hundred at Walmart. They are bronze finish, ring-eye and a little heavier wire and straighter point than the EC's Aberdeens. Good for Woolly Buggers, streamers and stoneflys. They are chemically sharpened.

FYI...shank length on the EC Aberdeen 202 for size 1/0 is 1", size 2 is 7/8 ", size 6 is 11/16".

The quality of hooks has really gotten better in the last 40 years but the prices are getting scary expensive to me. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Check this deal....210 hooks w/ plastic flybox !
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: South Bend Fishing Value Pak Aberdeen Hooks Amazon.com: Buying Choices: South Bend Fishing Value Pak Aberdeen Hooks

ct

Oops, looks like the link doesn't work. Go to Amazon.com and search...South Bend Fishing Value Pak Aberdeen Hooks.
bigjim5589 and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:31 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've tied on & still tie on a lot of different hooks that were/are not considered fly hooks. Depends on what I'm tying. I don't mind spending more on better hooks either, I buy Owner, Gamakatsu & even Trokar hooks, but I still don't like spending any more than I have to. I look for deals & bargains. I also don't mind sharpening hooks, particularly big sizes I might use for bass or saltwater fishing. For smaller sizes, I have a good supply of hooks, but have adopted a similar attitude as turbineblade. I would rather start with a sharp hook, than have to sharpen them. Hook prices are not that expensive for the small stuff if you shop around & compare. For what it's worth, I've bought some of the Allen hooks & they're great hooks for the price. Unless you're getting basic EC hooks for practically nothing, the Allen hooks are only slightly more in cost & a much better hook. Still, I know it comes down to what you can spend. I encourage anyone to "do the math" & weigh the pro's & con's on any hook you might consider.

I agree with with calftail about those South Bend hooks too. I picked up some in size 8 & 6 awhile back, and at a real good price & was quite surprised at how good they were. Strong & sharp, especially compared to basic EC or Mustad (old styles). My intention was to try them for panfish flies, but would have no qualms about using them for trout or bass.

There is also some sellers on Ebay who have some of the old EC & Mustad hooks who have them at very good prices. However, IMO you should still compare them to hooks such as Allen & decide which might best fit your needs.

Fly Guy, if haven't already, you should sign up for newsletters, like from Allen & other sources. Allen has some great deals on hooks sometimes but may not always be known to the general public. I signed up for many newsletters & often become aware of deals because of it. I may not always be in a position to take advantage, but at least I know those deals exist.

Mileage may vary!

This was one of those South Bend hook assortments. I probably won't use some of the bigger sizes, as I use better hooks, but for the price it was a good buy.
Click the image to open in full size.

I have a very large hook collection!
calftail likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

A few years back I tied this stonefly on a hook from one of those South Bend Value packs. I was tying the fly on the Mustad 9575 but the hook lost favor with the suppliers.....

The EC 202El are a light wire hook and spelled Hopper to me. I recently posted this one on the forum......Click the image to open in full size.

The reprobate of a a fly "ripple" was on the EC 057....
Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

I use some Eagle Claw #12 Aberdeens for some flies and their larger size hooks can work for streamers.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:09 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I tie on Allen's mostly,,so I'll stay with them for 'most' of my hooks,,,but am open to deals. But a deal that isn't quality isn't a deal and I don't want cheap quality. Thanks for the advice fella's.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:39 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I've BEEN TO THIS STORE, I'm sure.... =)

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I have a very large hook collection!
I've BEEN TO THIS STORE, I'm sure.... =)