The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 11:52 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Material I.D. Help !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Grey Fox, could be many things but sure looks like grey fox to me. I've seen more grey's that have that black tipped guard hairs with the rusty red-orange underfur than any other critter.
+1 that's what I was going to say though the tips look a bit dark to me.

Have any of your neighbors cats gone missing recently?

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

How will we ever know.......................
Even if we find out, will there be a prize involved for the right guess?
Inquiring minds want to know

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-15-2014, 12:49 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Ard, I don't think it's Grey Fox. Grey Fox usually has a fine, dense gray underfur right at the hide, and the guard hairs are usually the barred salt & pepper, light & dark. Even the belly hair on a Grey has the darker underfur. Since the piece posted lacks any dark underfur I don't think it's Fox. Even Red & Kit Fox often have a darker underfur. Of course, there can be a great deal of variance from one animal to another & even from various parts of the same hide.

Here's some Badger. This is from the belly & sides. I believe the material piece that calftail posted is Badger, & likely from the sides rather than from the back.

Click the image to open in full size.

This a Grey Fox. Looks like from the back of a hide.

The fur piece on the upper left is Muskrat, below that is Beaver & the other piece is also Badger, probably from the back.

This piece is Red Fox, most likely from the back.

This piece is Red Fox, but from the underbelly, and is stained from urine. This is highly regarded for use as dubbing on the Hendrickson dry fly, since the urine stains the fur a nice pink color. Both the Grey & Red can have patches of fur like this, but they don't usually contain the dark guard hairs.
mcnerney and grtlksmarlin like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:54 PM

flycaster1977 is on a distinguished road

Opposum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk