The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 06:06 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Material I.D. Help !

I was digging through my stash and found this swatch...any ideas what it is ? I don't.

Thanks. ct

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Stone Marten ?
Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Material I.D. Help !

Looks more like Badger or Opossum to me.
mcnerney and shotgunfly like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

I am in for Badger
shotgunfly likes this.
I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach
Old 05-13-2014, 09:23 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Looks like dark tipped possum. But, I don't know a thing about badgers..could be very similar to possum.

Mike
Old 05-14-2014, 07:54 AM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

That could be Sasquatch belly fur?!

Another vote for Opossum. Maybe lay a ruler or coin by it for size reference?
mcnerney likes this.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 05-14-2014, 08:17 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've got some of both Badger & Opossum, and depending on what's being compared, it's hard to tell them apart. I'm sure it's not Marten. Marten, Sable, Mink, Otter & Muskrat all have similar fur. What's posted, the underfur doesn't look to be any of those, not dense enough.

Back when I was tying commercially I bought a couple of big bags of Badger scraps, and used the hair for tying many different flies, particularly Bonefish flies. If the dark guard hairs & finer underfur is removed, Badger looks very much like a fine calftail hair. Some of the Badger I had, the guard hairs had some black/white barring to them, while some pieces were just dark. You may see Badger referred to as "Silver Tipped Badger" because of the barring.

I liked it better than calftail, because what I had was a bit longer & lacked the twisted hairs that some calftails have. Also, being a finer textured hair generally, the flies had a better action to them. It didn't hurt that for what I paid for the Badger scraps it was cheaper than buying the calftails too!

Opossum is similar, and depending on the animal, much of the hair will have black tips. It's another hair that works well for smaller flies, and those black tips can make a nice looking & sometimes very productive fly. (Tip dyed materials seems to be the rage now, but Opossum is naturally that way!) Opossum is also very fine textured, so again has some wonderful movement to it.

Both Badger & Opossum are very easy to dye!
mcnerney and fly_guy12955 like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:33 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

BTW,,,little known fact.........O'Possum is Irish lol
bigjim5589 and Flygrain like this.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:51 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I'm going with Badger
Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygrain View Post
Maybe lay a ruler or coin by it for size reference?
The swatch is on top of my flybox which measures 3 1/2 x 6.

I think the jury's still out on this one. I could take it to a local fly shop but I'm afraid I'd get the duh look and some swag for an answer.

It's got great guard hairs for dry fly tails etc.. I must have used it having clipped some of the patch, but can't remember for what.

Last edited by calftail; 05-14-2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Grey Fox, could be many things but sure looks like grey fox to me. I've seen more grey's that have that black tipped guard hairs with the rusty red-orange underfur than any other critter.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;