The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Sharp Tying Scissors

In another thread Pocono mentioned to make sure that I had sharp fine point scissors. For a time now I have suspected that my scissors are not as sharp as when they were new. Same with my travel scissors. Is there anything that you do to sharpen your scissors? Is it best just to replace them?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Sharp Tying Scissors

Jimmie,

I have a pair of Dr. Slick curved blade that I've been tying with since they were first introduced to the market. I have no idea how long I've been using them but they are still capable of trimming even the tiniest fiber from a fly.

Dr. Slick curved,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-06-2010, 12:40 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

While I have several pairs of Dr. Slick scissors, my main pair is going on 10 years of service. I don't cut wire with them, but do cut all other materials. Somewhere on YouTube, you can find the owner of Dr. Slick discussing his products. The scissors arrive from Pakistan in terrible shape, and the U.S. folks spend their work day sharpening and aligning the scissors. I think that most of my Dr. Slick scissors have a serrated edge, so I don't know how I'd sharpen those. The chain stores have forced all of the hardware stores near me to close, so that's not an option. An all-round set of Dr. Slick scissors should be around $10-$12, so.....
Old 08-06-2010, 02:00 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

If you need to sharpen your scissors, most Joann Fabric and Craft stores have a sharpening service available. Typically, they have a person that comes by the stores once every 2-4 weeks and sharpens on-site, or they pick up and return scissors.

AND YES, you should have a second pair of scissors dedicated for cutting wire, tin, lead and other metals that can also be used for cutting thick quills, etc. Your fine work scissors should NEVER be used for this purpose!

Dr. Slick are good scissors, and they're available with larger finger holes which work well for some of us dudes, but when at the sewing store (admit it, you go there, it's a good place for tinsel, yarn, containers, etc.) take a look at the Gingher Embroidery scissors and if they 'fit your hand', watch the sales they regularly have 50% off one item coupons and you can get them for a decent price.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:41 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I use the Dr. Slick arrowhead scissors (check out their website; you can't get these scissors in a lot of fly shops; but you can order them through most local shops) in both straight and curved versions. Both come in two sizes; I use the smaller size. They get in close and they cut well.

http://www.drslick.com/products_scissors1.asp

The advice on having different scissors to cut tying materials is a good one. I have separate scissors that I use for wire, tinsel; anything that's not thread or hackle stem and that could dull my primary scissors. So far, two+ years on the Dr. Slick scissors and no noted dulling. Of course, I'm not a high volume tyer; probably not more that 100-150 flies per year (50% for the swaps on this forum).

Pocono
Old 08-09-2010, 09:53 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I also use Dr. Slick scissors. I have two pairs, one Arrow and one gen purpose. I use the arrows for heavier cutting, or when i use super glue and foam. I also have a pair of the scissor clamps, that i keep in my fishing vest. Best part is that they all come in the prism finish.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Really appreciate the input everyone. Thank you.

stl: one of the guys that I get together to tie has those prism scissors. They look great.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I just gotta know, did you get a pair and if so what kind???

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-05-2010, 02:39 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

The Dr. Slick arrow points also have a place at my bench, they are really great for when you need to get in close to the fly. For most of my tying I have been using these Anvils and they keep a razor sharp edge. I highly recommend them.

Fly tying Scissors, Fly Tying Tools, and Fly tying Vises by Anvil USA

For cutting synthetic materials and wire, I just use a cheapie pair from a craft store or I'll use an older, worn set of Dr. Slicks.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I just gotta know, did you get a pair and if so what kind???
Sorry for the late response Ard. I left for the eastern Sierras (Mammoth)on 9/4 and this is the first time since I've been on-line.
As a matter of fact I haven't gotten any new scissors. I looked at some in a fly shop yesterday (prism finish). May have to go back after those.
One of the the guys at our club told me the "Fiskar" handheld sharpeners work good. I'm curious and afraid to try them at the same time. One of my fears is ruining the scoring.