The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 06:38 PM

jml43 is on a distinguished road
Default Popper question

Was wondering what u guys use to finish your poppers. I use the copic airbrush to paint the popper. I let it dry and have no bleeding of color. As soon as I put the clear cure goo on it to help make it durable, it seems the color start to blend.. Was wondering what finish u guys use or is there a trick to not make the colors bleed...
Old 06-14-2014, 06:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Popper question

I don't paint mine at all
The fish don't care
Old 06-14-2014, 06:47 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Try cyanoacralate, or super glue as it is commonly called. I've used it as a finish for many things. Tough and durable. Be sure to use the thin watery kind, not gel or thicker versions. Original Krazy Glue is what I use. Be sure to use in well ventilated areas, the stuff makes a nasty harmful vapour.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My bass poppers like this have 2 coats of epoxy over bare (test tube stopper) cork

Click the image to open in full size.

My salty poppers like this are unfinished closed cell foam... from lobster pot buoys.

bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Most of the time when paint "bleeds" it's the result of the solvents in the paint or the coating not being compatible. It's likely whatever is in the CCG that makes it liquid is not compatible with the copic paint. Try waiting longer to be sure the paint is in fact completely dry, or try a completely different paint type.

Give some acrylic paint a try it. Acrylic paints are generally inexpensive, available in many stores & with the CCG coating should be very durable. If you like to add highlights, you probably still can with he copic air brush, even over the acrylic. Sometimes you need to experiment to find something that works the way you want it to.

I've used different types of paint over the years, including spray enamels such as Rustoleum or Krylon & primarily epoxy for coatings, which doesn't cause the bleeding problems for me. The UV cure stuff seems to be great, I just have not found the need to switch from epoxy. Personal preferences, nothing more.

However, I agree with Rip that they don't "need" to be painted for the fish, but I like painting them too, so do so!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

I put one coat of epoxy. Then use paint pens and/or sharpies to do the coloring then another coat of epoxy. I may mix some glitter with it. Put on the eyes and then do one final coat of epoxy. This can be tedious if your doing one at a time, so I will make several and use 10 minute epoxy so I have the working time to coat them all.

bigjim5589, theboz and brucerducer like this.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 06-15-2014, 04:53 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i use uv resin over acrylic craft paints with no problems

i tried clear nail polish over copic markers and came out with an odd finish

i figure that i'm the one looking at the odd finish when fishing it so who cares. i dont think the bass will care at all

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 06-18-2014, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I must be dumb.. Looked at the clear cure goo I was using and sure enough I was using the hydro. Switched to the brushable and no problem. Liked the pics everybody posted
Old 06-19-2014, 04:55 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

why would using hydro vs brushable make any difference?

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 06-19-2014, 05:24 AM

Have no clue. But as soon as I used the tack free and the brushable no bleeding. When I used the hydro it would not start bleeding colors until I zapped it with the light. I would paint my poppers one day and put the finish own them the next day.