The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 07:38 PM

outdoorsman1 is on a distinguished road
Default what scissors do you like?

I'm in need of better scissors for tying. the ones I use now are over 60 years old. They were my dad's when he tied as a teenager.

So I need a new pair but I don't know what is the best to get. Iight I mostly bucktail jigs crappie jigs and just starting to tie flies.

So, what kind of general all purpose scissors do you like.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:05 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: what scissors do you like?

Dont know if I would get into a technical debate about their merits but I use two pair

Pair #1 regular old plain jane standard doctor slicks for do it all work; wires, feathers stems, any and everything tying related

Pair #2 Dr Slick Razor scissors for fine work only, small dry flies, little midges etc. $30 seemed steep for scissors but they truly are "razor" sharp
Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Without a doubt, Anvil. The pair I have is almost 10 years old and they are bomb-proof. A little stiff at first but they stay sharp and then get sharp real quick when sharpened. I love them and they are one tool they would have to pry from my cold, dead hands in the end!!

Click the image to open in full size.

Kelly
Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

A friend tier of mine showed me these and I have not used anything but since. Outside of the scissors for tinsel, wire and the like.

6th Finger Fly Tying Scissors
mcnerney, hairwing530 and siege like this.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I use Dr Slicks and am very happy with them. Have 3 pair: all purpose, arrow, and hair. Also use a regular old pair of scissors to clip wire etc.

My advice: buy good scissors for cutting finer material, cutting the material on the fly body. For cutting hair off of skins, cutting wire, etc it isn't as important.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:19 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I use Dr Slicks and am very happy with them. Have 3 pair: all purpose, arrow, and hair. Also use a regular old pair of scissors to clip wire etc.

My advice: buy good scissors for cutting finer material, cutting the material on the fly body. For cutting hair off of skins, cutting wire, etc it isn't as important.
Ha my pair of Dr Slicks used for wire weren't intended as wire ones....sort of a craneous rectus (Latin for head in dark) moment tying hares ears and realized I butchered my scissors cutting and trimming the wire wrap..........oooops, yeah regular old $1.99 hobby/craft scissors would have been a wiser move

Sometimes my own brilliance is dumbfounding
siege likes this.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Ha my pair of Dr Slicks used for wire weren't intended as wire ones....sort of a craneous rectus (Latin for head in dark) moment tying hares ears and realized I butchered my scissors cutting and trimming the wire wrap..........oooops, yeah regular old $1.99 hobby/craft scissors would have been a wiser move

Sometimes my own brilliance is dumbfounding
Yeah, don't as me how I learned...
comeonavs likes this.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I use the Dr. Slick tungsten in an arrow pattern for most tying, but also love the razors for really fine work.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I can only comment on what I have experience with. I used dirt cheap Sunrise scissors for many years, think 1969 - 1992. I don't know how I did that but suspect it was the single edge razor blade I always have handy that kept me going. Then round about I laid down the unheard of price of around 14.99 for a pair of Dr. Slick with the curve blades and they are still sharp enough for all my needs today. For the price I don't believe you can go wrong with them.

I do however keep a single edge razor at the ready still and use it almost as much as the clippers.

Ard
comeonavs, siege and lv2nymph like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Dr Slick. great for cutting everything especially wire (cut it at the pivot area not the point)

fiskars for the big stuff

comeonavs and lv2nymph like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 07-09-2014 at 05:16 PM.