The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By comeonavs
  • 2 Post By flytire
  • 2 Post By s fontinalis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

mtaag3 is on a distinguished road
Default what am I doing wrong?

I am a brand new tier. I have been using 140 Denier line trying to do simple wraps getting used to techniques, etc. and I am constantly breaking the thread. I don't feel like I'm pulling too hard as it seems if I let up at all the thread doesn't lay nicely and unravels. I am trying to be very careful as to not clip the thread on the hook. If I go to anything lighter than 140 it's ridiculous.

Is it just me and my need to learn to tie better or should I be stepping up to a higher denier until I get more skilled?

Thanks for your help.
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: what am I doing wrong?

Hammer Hands is what I call it

When I started 3 years ago I was popping threads left and right....eventually you develop some touch.

I also started using Rite-Bobins and Norvise bobbins as I could control the tension better. Others might disagree but it helped me a lot.

I will also throw in a shameless plug for Veevus thread. That stuff is awesome for me , using 12/0 I can tie down to 24's real easily and yet it is strong. I basically haven't hardly touched my Uni 8/0 since I found Veevus (that sounds weird)
mcnerney and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

I truly believe the first tying lesson for any beginner should be to learn thread control before even tying flies. beginners need to learn how much tension to apply to tying thread to achieve good tight wraps of thread.

you should put a hook in the vise, tie on your thread and intentionally break it. this would give you a starting point as to how tight you can wrap the thread and how much tension it takes to break the thread

the arms of the bobbin holder may also be too tight on the spool. spreading apart the bobbin arms will lessen the tension and squeezing the arms will add tension on the spool

the tip of the bobbin holder tube may have a nick in it that could fray the thread and cause it to break (unlikely on a brand new bobbin holder but it could happen eventually)
mcnerney and lv2nymph like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Snapping 140 Denier means you're definitely using too much pressure.

If you're tying on smaller hooks too, then that thread is much to thick.

Try to use Danville fly master 6/0 (stretchy) and see if you can feel the stretch. You could also use Uni 6/0 or 8/0, neither are as stretchy as danville.

If you use narrower thread (higher /0 rating, 8/0 thinner than 6/0, or lower denier rating, 70 denier thinner than 140 denier) you'll develop a softer touch much faster than if you start with the thicker stuff (3/0 or 140 denier)

You might get frustrated a lot early on with the narrower threads, but it will benefit you in the long run i.e. for the rest of your life.

The suggestion of rite bobbins is a good one. I use them too.
mcnerney and gzarboni like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
I truly believe the first tying lesson for any beginner should be to learn thread control before even tying flies. beginners need to learn how much tension to apply to tying thread to achieve good tight wraps of thread.

you should put a hook in the vise, tie on your thread and intentionally break it. this would give you a starting point as to how tight you can wrap the thread and how much tension it takes to break the thread

the arms of the bobbin holder may also be too tight on the spool. spreading apart the bobbin arms will lessen the tension and squeezing the arms will add tension on the spool

the tip of the bobbin holder tube may have a nick in it that could fray the thread and cause it to break (unlikely on a brand new bobbin holder but it could happen eventually)
Follow this advise, This is exactly what I did with both my children when they started tying. And the first thing I do with any new tier I'm helping to get started. After that you might as well go directly to learning the knots you'll need, ( if you haven't already)then you should learn to control the different materials you have making them behave at the tie in point. Then tie a fly...
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

mtaag3 is on a distinguished road

Thanks all! I practiced just wrapping hooks and I think what a lot of it has to do with is the tension in my bobbin. I loosened it up quite a bit and it's flowing much smoother.

I'm also going to look into the Rite-Bobbins too.
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Was ggoing to add that bobbins are usually the culprit for threads breaking. As always great advice from the above.
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaag3 View Post
Thanks all! I practiced just wrapping hooks and I think what a lot of it has to do with is the tension in my bobbin. I loosened it up quite a bit and it's flowing much smoother.

I have one rite bobbin and 4 ceramic bobbins. I wont buy anymore rite bobbins, not that there's anything wrong with them other than they cost way more. Just keep practicing.
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaag3 View Post

Glad to hear you are learning. This place helped me immensely in learning the ins and outs of tying.

I just got my package in the mail from Norvise today, 2 more bobbins and 10 spools. Convienently I just bought a few more spools of Veevus 12/0 and 16/0 today so I just got done spooling them up and labeling them.

Off to tie up some size 24 RS2's with that 16/0