The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 03:01 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hanak Competition Hooks

I just bought a few packs of these for dry flies, h130BL, I'm impressed, they really look nice, anyone else ever use these, just wondering how they hold up.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:54 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hanak Competition Hooks

I prefer the allen d101bl hook at $4.19/25 hooks vs $8.95/25 hooks

D101BL - Standard Dry Fly, Barbless - Allen Fly Fishing Store

HANAK Barbless Competiton Hooks -- H130BL Dry Fly (Black Nickel) 25 pcs.

the d101bl is roughly the same hook at half the price (that helps my retirement fund )

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 08-01-2014, 11:45 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
I prefer the allen d101bl hook at $4.19/25 hooks vs $8.95/25 hooks

D101BL - Standard Dry Fly, Barbless - Allen Fly Fishing Store

HANAK Barbless Competiton Hooks -- H130BL Dry Fly (Black Nickel) 25 pcs.

the d101bl is roughly the same hook at half the price (that helps my retirement fund )
I use the Allen D102BL allot, the smallest size they make in these are #16's, the 101's just don't seem to hold as well. I needed 18 and 20's for my Tricos, the Hanak's were the only alternative I could find. I'm glad I gave them a shot, they are really nice hooks, super sharp with a thinner wire diameter than the Allen hooks.

These seem to hold better for me
H130BL
Click the image to open in full size.

The Allen 101's

The Allen 102's

Last edited by bear 007; 08-01-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 08-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using Hanak H100,H130,H290,and H330 BL hooks for a while and I'm satisfied.May try Allen's
Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 PM

attackone is on a distinguished road

i dont use the hanak but i do use the umpqua comp hooks that are made by hanak. I really like them nice and sharp like u said, i also use the hends hooks. I have had issues with allen hooks bending on me.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"Small hand in the air" question. Save for being barbless right out of the box what is a 'Competition hook?' The term is totally new to me.

fae
Old 08-01-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
"Small hand in the air" question. Save for being barbless right out of the box what is a 'Competition hook?' The term is totally new to me.

fae
I really don't know a thing about this but apparently in fly fishing competitions sponsored by the FIPS (International Fly Fishing Federation) you can only use barbless manufactured hooks, you can't use hooks that are debarbed. I believe that's where the term comes from. I'm sure someone here is much more knowledgeable on this than I am.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:54 PM

attackone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
I really don't know a thing about this but apparently in fly fishing competitions sponsored by the FIPS (International Fly Fishing Federation) you can only use barbless manufactured hooks, you can't use hooks that are debarbed. I believe that's where the term comes from. I'm sure someone here is much more knowledgeable on this than I am.
I thought u were aloud to use a hook that was debarbed. The points are design different then a normal style hooks, some have a needle point other have a up curve to them...it takes a very small amount of pressure to punch through a mouth about 90% of my hooks are comp style
Old 08-05-2014, 06:13 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

FIPS-Mouche Rules - Fly Fishing Team USA

read article 28

the words "competition hook" must have been created by someone who had nothing better to do or thought "barbless hook" just wasn't sexy enough!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 08-06-2014 at 04:26 AM.