The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 03:37 PM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice
Default Flats flies assistance please

Hey gang,

Headed to Belize in just over a month to do nothing but fish, drink beer and rum in that order. I need some advice before I kick it into high gear on the vise.

Pretty sure what I will be tying up, but I have a question about a couple of material substitutions.

1) Is calf tail all that important for wing material on the Crazy Charlie? I have a ton of buck tail in assorted colors and gobs and gobs of craft fur and would rather save $$ for beer, but if it really matters then I'll get it.

2) Peterson Spawning Shrimp -- The recipe calls for three small clumps of rabbit fur. Again is it all that important or will craft fur be a good substitute material. If I go with the rabbit fur, what do I buy? Cross cut rabbit strips or is there something else I may be missing.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:14 PM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flats flies assistance please

I use buck tails for CC's and have done well with bones. I also tie shrimpy looking patterns with craft fur and they work also. Just keep them in proportion to the hook size you're using and you'll be OK. I don't think they know the difference.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:24 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flats flies assistance please

I've substituted badger & opossum hair for calftail and either works as well. Craft fur/ hair works well on many of that type of pattern. Gotcha's are probably the best example of that style with craft fur.

Bucktail can certainly be used, but on small sizes, like 8 to 2 which is what most Charlie patterns are tied on, it's hard to get bucktail hair that is fine textured enough. Also since bucktail has natural buoyancy is could cause some issues with sink rates. Of course, if you want a slow sinking fly, then use it.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!