The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 04:35 PM

saucebox11 is on a distinguished road
Default My first attempt at a fly

Well I just got all of my stuff i ordered and made my first attempt at a fly. Was a bully's bluegill spider. Its actually kind of ugly and I didnt have any chenille so I substituted it with dubbing. Here it is for your viewing pleasure.

Click the image to open in full size.

Let me know what you guys think and any tips or whatnot. Gonna go try this thing out now that it quit raining. Will report back later.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:04 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My first attempt at a fly

I won't comment on the materials because you did not have the correct materials.

One comment is that the amount of dubbing you put on is so heavy and thick and extends so far back that it restricts the hook gap. That dubbing is solid but chenille has fibers that fan out given an impression that it is solid but it compresses more easily. So do not be disappointed if you get strikes and you don't hook up.

Tie the next one with less thread at the head of the fly. That will allow you to begin the dubbing further forward. End the dubbing as the hook begins to bend down or use a larger gap hook.

Use thinner rubber bands so you can shorten the tied own point of the rubber bands to just behind the hook eye.
hairwing530 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I won't comment on the materials because you did not have the correct materials.

One comment is that the amount of dubbing you put on is so heavy and thick and extends so far back that it restricts the hook gap. That dubbing is solid but chenille has fibers that fan out given an impression that it is solid but it compresses more easily. So do not be disappointed if you get strikes and you don't hook up.

Tie the next one with less thread at the head of the fly. That will allow you to begin the dubbing further forward. End the dubbing as the hook begins to bend down or use a larger gap hook.

Use thinner rubber bands so you can shorten the tied own point of the rubber bands to just behind the hook eye.
Thanks for the help. You are 100% correct on what was going on. Tons of strikes but only 3 hook ups. Managed to catch 2 blue gills and 1 perch. I ended up taking it off as it was starting to fall apart, I need to work on my whip finishing to. Will get smaller rubber bands and actual chenille for next time.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:57 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

We all had to start somewhere. Do yourself a favor & keep that first fly some place for future reference. Silver has given you good advice to improve your next attempts. You should now have a better idea for how to tie the next flies. But as you progress with your tying & hopefully get better at it, occasionally go back & look at that first one & compare it to whatever you happen to be tying. You might surprise yourself some day!

I wish I had the forethought to do that. But I started well before the internet was available & taught myself from magazine articles, catalog pages & eventually a few books. My progress was much slower than folks today. I'm not the only one here who started that way either!

You have a great resource here to get advice & critique as you develop. Perhaps there may also be someone nearby that can provide some additional lessons.

BTW, I try to tie all "new" patterns in a minimum of 3. That's a good way to compare as you tie. Each one should be very similar. Also, should you find a pattern that works well, you don't want to be out on the water & lose the only "hot" fly that you've tied!

Welcome to the dark side!
hairwing530 likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:08 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

At least you have nerve to show your first one...........mine was so bad I feared it would cause someone to go blind. Seriously.
imxer, hairwing530, kaleun and 2 others like this.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:21 PM

ponycarman will become famous soon enoughponycarman will become famous soon enough

Congrats on your new addiction! I am a new tyer as well. A few weeks into it. I am having almost as much fun tying as I do fishing haha. The flys will get better. Just trial amd error and learning the do's and don'ts. For small rubber legs galore go to walmart or hardware store and buy some cheap bungee chords. They are filled with small round rubber strings. I gutted two and now have a lifetime supply haha. Good luck on your tying! I'll have to try making one of those bully spiders. Have fun!
Old 08-24-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponycarman View Post
Congrats on your new addiction! I am a new tyer as well. A few weeks into it. I am having almost as much fun tying as I do fishing haha. The flys will get better. Just trial amd error and learning the do's and don'ts. For small rubber legs galore go to walmart or hardware store and buy some cheap bungee chords. They are filled with small round rubber strings. I gutted two and now have a lifetime supply haha. Good luck on your tying! I'll have to try making one of those bully spiders. Have fun!
thats a really good idea about the bungee cord thing. thanks guys, i did catch a couple of fish so it was a success either way
hairwing530, kaleun and ponycarman like this.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:44 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Hey saucebox,

Send me a list of the flies that you intend to tie in the months ahead, and I'll send you a supplemental no-cost "care package" of materials that might come in handy. I'm sure that I can find a bit of "extras" laying around, as I've gotten in the first few boxes of materials for the upcoming "my kids" classes later this Fall. That, and the fact that my "tying bins collection" seems to be multiplying by the week! This fact has earned me the occasional "shaking of the head" looks from the Speaker of the House...

So, you'd be helping me out... sorta....

Tight lines, and tighter wraps, my friend...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 PM

here is my 2nd attempt here. i had some chenille in wire that i used. it called for lead wire anyways so i figured id hit it at the same time. im sure it will rust, but thats fine.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:23 PM

ponycarman will become famous soon enoughponycarman will become famous soon enough

Lookin good! How was the wire chenille to deal with? I've seen it a the craft store but the rusting issue is what has kept me from getting any. Just been using dubbing.