The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 01:31 PM

jmhall87 is on a distinguished road
Default Where do buy your materials.

I'm just getting into tying trout flies ( I've been tying saltwater patterns for about a year) I was just curious as to where you guys like to order materials for price and quality? I've got pictures of a couple attempts I made yesterday at a pheasant tail and a parachute AdamsClick the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Any critique on the flies is welcome
mridenour and ejsell like this.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Where do buy your materials.

there is no 'one stop shop', though a couple come close.

J Stockard usually have the good stuff.

then theres Bob Marriotts, Caddis Fly Shop, Pacific Fly Fishers, Orlander Outfitters, Mad River Outfitters, White Water Flies, Dette Trout Flies, etc etc etc.

I'd avoid anything Waspi, as in my experience the quality is pure dung.... Get Hareline where possible.
mridenour and ejsell like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-02-2014, 02:27 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

I usually buy my material from one of three places, as mentioned J Stockard is the place I go online to buy most material although I get almost all of my hooks and beads through Allen.

Then we have a field and stream that has a good selection and one of our local fly shops (unfortunately a little bit out of my way)

Ryan
Old 09-02-2014, 02:41 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Agree with Eunan, you really need to shop around & compare. The sources he's listed have all been around many years. That's usually a good indication they're a reliable source, but doesn't mean they'll have exactly what you want or need.

I like the Hareline products too, but also will buy Wapsi & Raymond Rumpf brand products. ( All 3 are wholesale suppliers.)

I don't tie a lot of trout flies however, so my needs for materials are different.

Look around, do search's online & sign up for email notices & newsletters. Many online sources will have sales & closeouts on materials & they may not be widely publicized except via their email notices.

I'm signed up for emails & newsletters from JStockard, Orvis, Stillwater Fly Shop, South Holston Fly Shop, Pete's Fly Shop, Sierra Trading Post, Bob Marriotts, Allen Fly Fishing (great hooks), Theriault Flies, Fishwest Fly Shop & a few others I can't think of right now.

I also check out Ebay frequently, but you have to know what you want & what you're buying there to get good deals. It's best to ask a lot of questions of Ebay sellers if you're not sure!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:59 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Some good advice on the common sources. They can have great deals on things like trout hooks by the 100. I try to get my stuff local. The Red Shed is my local shop and has great materials for steelhead, and I also order a lot from Waters West for steelhead materials and blue ribbon flies for trout materials. I also get materials from AOfeathers and Feathersmc.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:59 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

I've used many of the suggested companies with good results. I would also like to also send a shoutout to Bearsden in Taunton MA. Great selection, great folks, good prices and quick shipping.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:00 PM

jmhall87 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the replies guys
Old 09-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Where do you live and are there no fly shops nearby? I'm not going to tell you to buy everything local but if there is a shop within a day trip drive I would go. The reason is simple, you will learn a lot about materials by handling them in person. When I go to town shopping for tying materials I'm not shy, I have everything out of the bags checking them out for quality. There are also a few patterns usually on display that I want to copy in my own way also.

Once you know what the shops have and become more familiar with various materials you can be a better on-line shopper.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

Where do you live and are there no fly shops nearby? I'm not going to tell you to buy everything local but if there is a shop within a day trip drive I would go. The reason is simple, you will learn a lot about materials by handling them in person. When I go to town shopping for tying materials I'm not shy, I have everything out of the bags checking them out for quality. There are also a few patterns usually on display that I want to copy in my own way also.

Once you know what the shops have and become more familiar with various materials you can be a better on-line shopper.

Ard
I buy 99% local,

Three things I order online

1) Beads from Riplips
2) Some hackle from feather emporium ( bought some local too though)
3) Dai Riki Hooks from Blue Quill Anglers when I make a 400+ hook purchase. Since I am in Colorado, technically Blue Quill is buying local.

Luckily for mr Front Range Anglers, Laughing Grizzly and Charlies Flybox are my 3 closest shops and they all cater to tiers, tons and tons of tying supplies.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:51 PM

lgfrommv107 is on a distinguished road

I don't have any cool ma & pa shops, so I have a bass pro shop and sports chalet, which has a lot of materials on sale often which is cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk